+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hare's Lug and Plover

Blog Entries

Default Hare's Lug and Plover

It's too bad these forums don't have a "like" button the way Facebook and Google+ do. I'd "like" that fly if I could.

Blog Entries

Thank you! I know of one tying site, that has a like button. You don't have to have Facebook to do that. I am not sure how it works, but it is cool! I am very happy you liked the fly. Thanks for letting me know that.

Very nice Kelly . Do you fish these soft hackles in east Tx ? Panfish love them . If not they are just as pretty to look at . Great job. Fred

Blog Entries

Yes, I do use soft hackles here. The panfish do love them. I've even caught nice sized bass on a soft hackle believe it or not! I have not fished this particular fly yet. I just made these over the past two days. Someone was very nice and sent me the hare's ear fur, and another person sent me the Golden Plover. I have been very fortunate with people sending me materials to use!!

Looks like a great fly for PMDs. Hare's lugging at you kid.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Thanks Scott, I bet it would work for them too!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Looks like a great fly for PMDs. Hare's lugging at you kid.

Regards,
    Scott
    Or yellow sally nymphs, as they are actually yellow...sorta.

Blog Entries

Thanks for that photo! I'd have to agree.

AlanB Guest

Excellent dressing Kelly. My favorite North Country Spider. It has accounted for more than a few trout for me. Strange though I just realised that I haven't caught a grayling on one. Another reason to go south for some grayling fishing this year.

I first came across this fly being tied by Oliver Edwards at a demonstration. He described the hare fur as coming from the "hare's poll" The top of the head between and around the base of the ears. His also has a fine gold wire rib. The rib also forming a small tag at the back of the body, only three turns. I'll post a photo later, when my fingers are working! (Its 04:45 here I'm about to get ready for the "day job").

As with many traditional patterns it is hard to tie down the original dressing. They are lost in the mists of time, some go back over 300 years. That we are still tying and fishing them now shows what good patterns they are.

Chewydog, if those nymphs are around I'd fish a team of three flies. The Light Snipe, Water Hen Bloa and Hare's Lug 'n' Plover. The dressing for the Water Hen Bloa calls for the dubbing of water rat (vole). Now a protected species, making it very illegal to obtain. Most people substitute mole fur. Mole though is only about 1/4 the length of water rat. When it is dubbed the effect is very different. If you use muskrat under fur it is much closer. The effect that you can gain is a clear view of the thread with dark bands between each turn and a haze of dubbing extending well beyond the body. The dark and primrose bands of the body would imitate the light and dark bands on the nymph in your photo.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread