+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Tip...

Default Fly Tying Tip...

If your like me and worry about spilling your head cement, well here's a tip. Over the years I've spilled my head cement more than once and it makes a huge mess. Both times I bumped it with my arm/hand and over she went.... These bottles tend to be relatively tall and narrow and it doesn't take much to send them tumbling.

I use a Griff's bottle that's 3 inches tall and 1 1/4 inches square for my head cement. I found that a plastic half gallon milk jug was just about the right size for the fix. I cut the top section off (see photo) and slid it down over the bottle with the plastic conforming nicely to the jar. This gives the bottle a much wider profile at the base and helping to prevent any future mishaps...

Find the plastic bottle or jug that fits your head cement jar and give it a try...
    Last edited by dr korn; 03-06-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Looks pricey...

Good suggestion and worth taking a few minutes to implement before you have an accident. I use a similar approach with a black of Styrofoam with a cut out in the center of the block for the bottle.

Very good tip. - Thanks.

I can tell you from first hand experience that it's not a good idea to spill head cement onto a nicely finished cherry desk.

John

Great tip and thanks for sharing. I use the same size bottle and have found that the lid from a Heinz squeeze bottle of ketchup will thread onto the head cement bottle and all I do is flip up the cap and insert my bodkin into the hole already there in the cap. Then just flip the cap closed when finished. If the head cement bottle is knocked over, there is very little, if any, spill before I set it back up. This also enables me to open and close the head cement with one hand.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Wonderful Idea there!!!!

I use the heavy square aluminum one that Dyna King sells, but wouldn't have bought it had I seen your idea.

I pull some cement into one of my wife's used insulin syringes and put the bottle away.
    Sometimes the other ones go away, but I'm always right here.

I have some syringes left from before my dad died. I am wondering if I could get them to work with CA?

I was watching a fly tying video from a shop out west. The tyer said "We tye primarily with monofilament, it covers a lot of sins."

I have used mono sewing thread for several years more than anything else. I don't break it as often as 8/0 thread and the cost is less than most tying threads. If you need a head, color it with a permanent felt tip. I have learned I am never the only person doing anything. Who else is using mono?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Both Dr. Korn and WarrenP get thumbs up in my book! Love to hear about clever, inexpensive ideas!

Having two young kids (6 and we go through a lot of 1 gallon milk jugs. Thanks for sharinbg that great tip!
    Trout don't speak Latin.

+ Reply to Thread