+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Dries

Default First Dries

It took me a week to get the nerve to post these, as I know that dries tend to be the most contested of all flies, so here goes.
    First dry: Grey Dun

Top:
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

First Adams: Lost a wing during tie.

Top:
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

First Hendrickson: Too much wing, too forward and I think the body is a little too fat.

Top:

Very nice work. Photos and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke McLeod View Post
    I think the body is a little too fat.
    Camera always adds a few pounds. They'll definitely fish; you're off to a good start. What size hook did you tie them on? Interesting that you trimmed the hackle on the Adams & Hendrickson; when I tied traditional dries (it's been a few years) I left the hackle full.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 02-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Trimming was suggested in the Beginning Fly Tying series, so I did it. They look much more photogenic untrimmed, but I'm going for function. Tiemco 100 Sz 14. Seems to be a good size for big thumbs to start out on. I'll work my way down. While tying some of these, I learned that 8/0 thread can be cleanly cut by a good sharp hook point . Luke

Well Luke, once again you are to be commended for bravery and for using the resource of this site for your improvement. You are advancing faster than I was.
    All these flies will catch fish, and even catch trout with a nice presentation. As to making your flies 'more perfect' I suggest that it is all about proportions - your selection of materials seems good. So ...
    1) the tails should be the same length as the hook shank.
    2) the hackle should be a little shorter - equal to just longer than the body - about 1 1/4 the gap of the hook
    3) The wing should be equal to the distance from the wing tie-in to the bend
    Given 2 & 3 above, I wonder if your hook could be a little longer, like a Mustad 94840.
    Also, if the hackle is the correct length you don't need to trim it, but IF you do, trim only an upside-down V notch out of the bottom. This will make the fly sit a little lower in the water, but still be balanced.
    Don't get discouraged by any means - you are doing well, and my comments (along with others’) are only meant to help.

And lastly, you may benefit (as should many tiers) by tying in the hackle by the butt with the tip OVER THE EYE. Wrap the thread back to behind the wing (so the thread is not only in the 'ready' position, but is also out of the way - and wrap the hackle back to the thread. Tie off the hackle with a couple of thread wraps and then zig-zag the thread to the eye though the hackle. Thus you aren't trying to capture the hackle and make a head at the same time in a small space. The hackle is already captured and all you have to do is make a SMALL head. There used to be a fine description of this on the Flyfisherman website, but since it crapped out I have not been able to find good images of the procedure.

I don't know what you were so worried about they look dry to me.

Nice ties. Fish them and the fish will tell you if you did a good job or not.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke McLeod View Post
    While tying some of these, I learned that 8/0 thread can be cleanly cut by a good sharp hook point . Luke
    Wait til you try to tie an upside down parachute. I cut the tread on every other one I tie. You are coming along nicely. The next step is to tie dozen of one pattern while applying what you learned from the first ones to the later ones. You will find that the flies get both easier to tie and better.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Looking good. I wish my first flies looked this good.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong..

rvrwader.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread