+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Partridge hooks

Default Partridge hooks

Is anyone else disappointed in these ? I find they rust within days. My flyboxes are Wheatley foam-lined , I have no problem with Kamasan, Viper or Daiichi. Ihave flies I tied three years ago on Kamasans and have used till the dressing unravelled through pure wear and still no rust. If I use a fly tied on a Partridge hook it is rusty the next time I look at it. I would be interested to hear your experiences. It may be in the steel, on second thoughts it HAS to be something in the steel. Jim Clarke

------------------

I use Kamasans for bait fishing and I love them

Hello Jim

Do you have any of the packages that the hooks came in? Any idea how long ago you bought them? Reason I ask is that so far, any quality issues with Partridge hooks have been with hook that were produced in the UK where production was quite primitive. We know that there were corrision issues and poor plating/lacquering issues as well. There are still lots of the old hooks out there so we get issues like this from time to time. I think you would be most pleased with the current Partridge production and would like to send you some replacement hooks to tie on and fish with.

No doubt it's a bummer when a good fly goes bad due to a rusty hook but I can assure you this is not an issue nowadays. Shoot me an email at jeff@mustad-usa.com and we will get you fixed up : )

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

4. Default

I use Partridge hooks for virtually ALL my flies. The new hooks in the Flash Point range are the cat's pajamas . The older hooks made in Redditch, England were also nice but quality control had some issues. My problems have always been with the brittleness and the hooks breaking and so on. Although I had some problems, I never really noticed unusual rusting that would not occur with other hooks under a similar amount of use.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Gee, I wish I would have known that before I sold all mine for several hundred dollars to a big city attorney.

Jim, i agree with Jeff. It must be some of the older stock of hooks. I tie all of the salmon flies for the shop on Partridge hooks and don't have any problem with them. I also sell a lot of the Partridge Trout Fly hooks and have never had a customer complaint about the hooks rusting on them either.

I would strongly encourage you to try out a few of the new production run hooks, you will be pleasantly surprised by there quality.

------------------
    Jamie

[url=http://www.jamiescustomflies.com:5f340]Jamie's Tackle Shop[/url:5f340]

+ Reply to Thread