+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emerging caddis, First draft

AlanB Guest

Default Emerging caddis, First draft

Here's the first draft of an emerging caddis I'm working on. As soon as I can get some I'll change the black ostrich for grey or off white. What I am looking for is the head and wing to sit flush in the surface and the body to hang down a little. As I've used deer hair I felt I could get away with a slightly heavier hook than I'd normally use. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
    A.

Alan

Beautiful fly. If I could tie that well, I'd fish it.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

A Klinkhamer??

I think it is a lovely fly. I would only suggest making the spun head a little shorter, and trying beige or brown ostrich because most shuck are brown. what do you think about some (struggling) legs of soft hackle or spiky fur? A fish catcher for sure.

AlanB Guest

It really is a very simple tie... if you have the right material. I do intend to change the colour of the ostrich. The reason I used black is it is all I have at the moment, and wanted to get the idea down solid. The body is Virtual Nymph's nymph skin. To get the shape start winding under tension and gradually let it off then build up the tension again. Rib with ostrich herl. Tie the lot off at the thorax. Tie in the wing, spin the head, roughly chop it to shape, then set fire to it! No I'm not joking. set the spun head alight and blow it out quickly.

I have considered a Klinkhammer but, this is for the lochs and needs to be "pullable". If you pull a Klinkhammer hard it will twist up your leader. Normally with a Klink it is only checked against the current to make it sink and pop up again. A 2' to 3' pull makes it spin.

Legs are a consideration. I may add a turn of soft hackle before the wing. Also I will try it with a shorter head. It needs to be simple to tie. If it does the job I'll be tying a lot of them for Virtual Nymph. The company has just been sold and the new owner has asked me to tie for them.

The day job starts in half an hour. I'll have a go at it again when I get home.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
    A.

AlanB Guest

Default 2.0 & 2.1

Right a couple more goes. Taking on board the smaller head, I have used a lighter wire hook. Also added the legs (Not sure about these). Also found some slightly lighter ostrich. Will order lighter as it still seems a little dark.

Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 02-23-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    <snip>
    The day job starts in half an hour. I'll have a go at it again when I get home.

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,
    A.

Give my regards to Cleggie in the Lino Department.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread