+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Forestville, Wisconsin area flyfishing?

Default Forestville, Wisconsin area flyfishing?

After last year, I *promised* myself I'd never again go on a business trip without a fly rod--no matter how busy we are, it always seems like there's a few hours here and there to put a fly in the water. This year it's Forestville, Wisconsin, northeast of Green Bay.
    We'll be there the week of May 16.
    Good rivers nearby to fish?
    What kind of fish to expect, hatches, and patterns to try?
    Thanks in advance!

Go to the Wisconsin DNR website, follow the fishing regs, trout fishing and they will have a pretty good map for you to look at. I'm on the other side of the state so I can't help with specifics. I see forestville is on the lake. Might be some steelhead fishing going on. Good Luck, wish I could be of more help!

danbob,
    The Oconto river is only about 1-1/4 hr drive from Forestville. You'll have to go back to Green Bay and take 41 North to 441.
    Go north on 441 till Stiles. There is a Mobil gas station on your right. You'll want to take a left there. Once your across the
    highway you want to take the first right.It is about 30 feet from the highway. It takes you to a parking lot and the river is right
    there.
    The flies I use that time of year are a mosquito or black ant size 14 or 16 and stimulators 12 or 14. Nymphs I use a turkey
    leech size 12, prince and pheasent tail size
    12,14 and 16.
    The river is mainly brown trout.

[This message has been edited by Paul D (edited 18 April 2006).]

Thanks! I like the attitude of folks here at FAOL. As always -- I'll share info about my home waters if you share info about yours.

Looks like I'll be right near the Anahpee (sp?) river, too. I've found that spending a Mr. Jackson or Mr. Hamilton on locally tied flies from a local fly / tackle shop gets one all kinds of good advice on where to go, too!

The little 3 wt, little reel, and a lanyard full of minimalist equipent is going in the bottom of my suitcase for sure. And Wisconsin looks pretty reasonable for out of stater fishing licenses, too.

Question -- is wearing cheese-shaped fishin' hats de rigeur on Wisconsin trout streams?
    ;~)
    Just kiddin'
    DAN

This site might be of some use. [url=http://www.flyfishingwis.com/:04753]http://www.flyfishingwis.com/[/url:04753]

I hear good things about it

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingwis.com:04753]www.flyfishingwis.com[/url:04753]

Wisconsin DNR has county maps and map keys (listing of trout streams) at the the url listed below.

[url=http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/fhp/fish/species/trout/streammaps.shtml:82df1]Wisconsin Trout Streams[/url:82df1]

You would be interested in Door County, and Kewauner County, on the Door Peninsula. There are not many trout streams in those two counties, and I have no listing for any
    "Blue Ribbion" Trout Streams to try, but there should be some shoreline fishing going on Lake Michigan, or on Green Bay.

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 19 April 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread