+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tube flies -- anyone doing this?

Default Tube flies -- anyone doing this?

I was at a show over the weekend and one of the tyers was tying tube flies. Looked like something I might want to pursue for a while.

Anyone tying tube flies??? If so, what do I look for or ask for. I would like an intro. kit but they have so many different pieces, I don't quite know where to start or what to ask for. Which system?

Can't say if its the best choice out there, but I recently purchased this kit:
    http://www.mudhole.com/Fly-Tying/Ter...Attachment-Kit

I've tied a few patterns on it so far, using the cut and melted plastic Johnson & Johnson version of Q-Tips stem as the tubes. Worked fine.
    For $7, its a good way to get your feet wet.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Yep I do and its by far better than having longer shanked hooks. Lose less fish and I also do them on poppers.
    As far as vises and rools adapters I went the dedicated vise way. Got the Renzetti and HMH. The HMH is my favorite.
    I been converting all my smallmouth, trout and steelhead streamers to tube and hadnt even use a streamer hooks in a long while. Getting ready to sell off them cause tubes are the way to go. Any short hook or circle hooks will do.

OrthoMan,

You can get into tying tub flies without buying a 'kit' or a 'holder' or any of that stuff if you just want to try it first.

As Dave mentioned, plastic Q-Tip shafts work great for the tubes. They use these typs of shafts on the 'cheapie' Q-Tip knock offs, and you can get several hundred of them at the dollar store in a variety of colors.

A piece of stainless steel wire (I use .040 welding wire, easy to get at any welders supply) will make a mount for the tube. Cut a piece about four inches long and bend a short (about 1/8 to 3/16 inch)90 degree angle in one end. Cut the plastic tube at an angle and slide the tube onto the wire until the angled cut engages the bend in the wire. This will keep the tube from rotating on the wire while you tie.

Place the wire horizontally into your regular vise, pushing the end of the plastic tube tight againse the vise jaws before tightening the vise.

You can now tie your fly on the tube. Trim the tube to length AFTER you tie the fly.

Many tube flies use a soft transition tube between the tube the fly is tied on and the hook. This lets you slide the hook eye into the soft tubing and thus holds the hook to the fly. You can buy latex or soft vinyl tubing for this at any aquarium shop and many hardware stores.

As far as actually fishing with the tube flies, I tried them and didn't like how they moved in the water. I do spend a lot of time messing with fly balance, attitude, and action, and they might work better on flies where this isn't an issue. On the plus side, being able to use varying hook sizes with any fly is a plus. And in some cases, where it's legal, having the hook hanging a bit behind the fly helps with hooking mortality when the fish are really eating the flies.

Certainly can't hurt to try them out and see if they work well for your fishing.

Good Luck,

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Unless things have changed the white Q tips are not hollow but the colored ones are.

A bicycle spoke works well as a holder.

Blog Entries

We tie and use tons of tubes... If you do not like the action of tubes you are failing to 1) weight them in different ways to achieve "nose-down" sinking at pauses 2) stack short sections to build the length you want... and changing the weighted section point 3) insert small floating sections to make the column of tubes bend as it sinks 4) "walk the dog" with them near or on the surface... and I could go on all day...

Bicycle spoke nuts make good sinking sections, fairly cheap if recycled... Coffee stir sticks are our standard tubes.

Some guides here using lots of tubes run fairly heavy leader through the tube and barrel knot a lighter, very short leader to that and tie the hook on there. If the line breaks the tube is usually saved by the barrel knot.

If your hook gets dull on a regular fly it is probably harder to get a good point back on it than it is to replace the hook on a tube (or articulated) fly.

Leeches and flesh flies ar MADE for tubes... Working on getting materials set up for an incredible smolt pattern that uses a tube and a Doctor's office style thermometer cover to make a surface slider style fly... Cannot wait to use it on lake trout when they are smashing smolts...
    art

Use cocktail straws for tubes.
    Use an allen wrench in your vise to tie with.

Better yet, go to NAPA and ask for brake air line tubing. Works really well but I find myself looking for tiny sized tube like 1/16-1/32 and use cone heads over them. Pop rivets is another weight to but not quite as heavy. Use your imagination its endless when it come to tubes.

DSCF2009.jpgDSCF2006.jpgDSCF2008.jpgrc plane and boat exhaust / fuel lines in brass or aluminum work great for small tubes, i cut to length and debur with some sand paper in 800 grit..for tubing hospital o2 lines or aqaurium air lines.. then for a tool all you need is a piece of spring steel (wire) 2 beads and a standard click pen, copy pic here for the tool..end bead is glued or heat the pin and insert into bead, other end goes into vice with pressure from spring. this one is over 10 years old and still going strong I use it for my classes..
    Last edited by sandfly; 02-20-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

Never tied a "tube fly" and never seen it done. Looks quite interesting.
    Does anyone know of a online video describing just the basics of tube flies and how they are done?
    Mark 1:17

+ Reply to Thread