+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Rod Holder for Canoe?

Default Fly Rod Holder for Canoe?

Hi, folks. Does anyone have a recommendation for a fly rod holder that will work well in a canoe. I'm thinking there must be one out there that can clamp onto a gunwale or a thwart. Thanks for any pointers.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Hi Diane: Try one of the rod holders from the Creek Co. They sell a Scotty brand holder with a clamp on it to attach to a pontoon boat frame. I bought mine from Cabela's when I bought my pontoon boat from them. I don't see why you couldn't find a way to clamp it to your canoe.

------------------
    Jim Johnson

[url=http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/rodholders/mounts.html:c29c7]http://www.scotty.com/marine/products/product/rodholders/mounts.html[/url:c29c7]

Diane,

LL Bean has been pushing a Clamp on Model for over 50 years that just might be what your looking for...No Drilling or modifying your Canoe!!!!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Hello Diane,

I will second the Scotty holders mentioned by Thwack.

I use a No. 265 Fly Rod Holder on a No. 249 Clamp Mount on my folding boat. The clamp is big enough to go over the gunwale and secure on the hull skin. Very adjustable. The fly rod holder is easily removed from the clamp for transport.

Cheers,
    Richard
    Plano TX

Thanks, folks. I'll take a look at those.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

I second the L.L.Bean rod holder. Been around along time. Has definately passed the test.

This may sound a little complicated, but it isn't. IMO the Fish On rod holder can't be beat. Nylon/Plastic. Light, no rust, etc. I use double back velcro to attach the mount. The holder slips into the mount and can "cant" the rod to any degree you want. Starboard, stern, aside, etc. Buy 1" velco and use two pieces (equals 2" wide). Unless you hook a whale or bottom, it will hold nicely and doesn.t compromise the bright work. My suggestion, Jonezee

I bought the cabelas clamp on model and it slides alot on my Radisson canoe. It may not be typical due to the aluminum and foam lined construction; still I don't trust it....

I've used this one for 5 or 10 years and it still looks like new. [url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001487012180a&type=product&cmCat=sear ch&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=rod+holder&N=4887&Ntk=Produ cts&:f36da]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0001487012180a&type=product&cmCat=sear ch&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=rod+holder&N=4887&Ntk=Produ cts&[/url:f36da]

As shown it clamps on the side of the canoe but if you attach the holder to the hole on the left of the clamp (per the picture) it clamps on the thwart. You can change the angle of the holder to suit.

[This message has been edited by Greg H (edited 18 April 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Greg H (edited 18 April 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread