+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regal Medallion Vise

Default Regal Medallion Vise

Looking a getting a new vice and have looked at a lot . Looking hard at a Regal Medallion and would like some feed back on this vise if possible . Don't want a " true " rotary . The simplicity of the Regal is what has me leaning toward it , plus it has the 360 rotation and the 220 angle adjustment and from what I've read they have quality jaws and strong hook holding power . Thanks

I have tied on Regals since I started tying. I have tried other quality vises since but always come back to my Medallion. Great vise.

It's hard to beat a Regal for a non-inline-rotary vise. About the only complaint I've heard is that it can spit out small hooks, if you place them very near the edge of the jaws. In many years of tying on a Regal, I have only spit one size 18 hook. It did chip the jaws and cost $50 to have them replaced. If you pay attention to hook placement I don't think it's a big problem.

I have Regal Medallion, Nor and Renzetti Traveler....frequency of use in that order.
    And if I had to choose one (trip to the moon with a small backpack?) I'd take the Regal.

But that's not to say I don't like the Nor. I use'em both. Renzetti's fine too. But why would I use it when I have the other two?

I bought the Regal I still use in 1990.

I've got two Medallions - one, an ancient traditional jaw version (with chipped jaws), and a new one with the stainless jaws.

I never bothered to do anything with the damaged vise, but when I spoke to the guys from Regal at the Somerset show last month, they said they'd refinish the jaws for $40. That's impressive, considering that vise was a hand me down from my deceased Uncle. They understood I didn't want to replace the jaws because the vise has sentimental value to me. They're really nice folks!

BTW - the stainless jaws are amazing. If you don't tie anything bigger than a size 2 hook, they're the ticket.

When I moved to Tennessee back in 2007 I recieved a regal Medallion vise as a going away present. (Either very good friends or very glad to see me go!!??). I tie a lot of bead heads and like to position the hook angled down to keep the bead at the eye but like the ease of repositioning the hook later in the tye. I have the pedestal base model which is great if you travel or don't want to put dents in the dining room table.

I've had a Medallion with a 'midge' head for about 15 years. Use it for flies from 8 down to 32. Great vise.
    The stainless steel jaws look awesome.
    Allan

Blog Entries

If you are the type that doesn't want to mess around with a vise and just tie flies buy the Regal, it goes from a size 10 to a size 22 with out any adjustments just put the hook in and tie. I love mine, easy to use and holds very well.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Love my regal. Have the midge jaws and have worn them out due to tying too big of flies. Still the only vise I tie on
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread