+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Smoky Mountains in May.

Default Great Smoky Mountains in May.

I am currently planning a trout fishing/hiking trip to the Smokies in early May. I have read several books and checked out a few websites, but there are so many streams within the park, that it seems a bit overwhelming as to which streams to fish, since I have never been there before.

Can anyone recommend a particular stream or two, to a first-timer there? I do not mind hiking in to remote places.

I will likely only have a couple of days for fishing (I will also be hiking a section or two of the Appalachian Trail), and plan to camp within the park.

Thanks, in advance for your help.
    For a real challenge, try ice fishing with dry flies.

Elkmont just past the campground can be nice if you hike a little past the old cottages. Also, Abram's Creek in the Cade's Cove area can be nice. Again, hike a little ways past the parking, touristy area. It should also be noted that Trout Fest is happening in May in Townsend, TN. A great fly shop is Little River Outfitters in Townsend and they have a nice web site.

Enjoy your trip.

Bob

I recommend the Little and the Pigeon right along thehighway between Gatlinburg and Townsend. You don't have to go to the backcountry unless you specifically want brookies. Rainbows and browns are just offthe side of the road. Check in with the crew at Little River Outfitters inTownsend or Smokey Mountain Anglers on Gatlinburg for fly suggestions anddirections. Bobbymojo hit on several spots I like. If Troutfest is going on the best sources of information will be there.

Dear Bob and billhouk,
    Thank You for your replies and for the info. I will check out these streams for sure.
    Unfortunately, I will miss TroutFest, since my trip will occur a week prior to it, and I am unable to reschedule, due to work conflicts.
    I am sure that I will love the park, since it seems like the perfect place for my 2 passions (other than my wife and kids, of course), hiking and flyfishing for wild trout. I hope to make it an annual trip, to explore the many streams and trails.
    I appreciate your help,
    Jim...

Like Bobby and bill said, littleriveroutfitters.com is the link you want to check out. Very helpful folks. Have a good trip!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Thank You very much for your help. I just briefly checked out the Little River Outfitters website and it is very cool! I will spend quite a bit of time perusing it (such a wealth of information). Looks like a great online catalog too.... I will certainly stop in there when I get down there (with an excursion first into northern Georgia to hike a section of the AT, either Springer or Blood Mountain). I am very excited about this trip. I'd better get started tying now....Best Regards, JimBob

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob View Post

I will likely only have a couple of days for fishing (I will also be hiking a section or two of the Appalachian Trail), and plan to camp within the park.

Thanks, in advance for your help.

What section of the A. Trail do you plan on hiking ...?

And, would you consider camping other then within the Park, say like a National Forest C/G ...?

Hi Dale,

I am still in the planning stages (first wk of May is all I could get off of work here in NJ), and I was thinking about doing a dayhike or two on the AT in Georgia (Springer Mt and/or Blood Mt), then some AT dayhiking within GSMNP, along with catch & release flyfishing for wild trout. I have some experience with remote trout streams (PA forests and Shenandoah National Park in VA). My formal backpacking (and backcountry camping) days are likely over, but I still enjoy challenging dayhikes. I enjoy tent camping (away from large RVs and loud motorcycles), so I was considering one of the tent campgrounds within the park. However, I would not rule out any other ideas.
    A couple of years ago, I realized that I would like to hike a section of the AT in each of its 14 states (I have 6 under my belt now), so I figured that GA, TN & NC are in the same area, and maybe I could add these 3 states. I was originally planning to add a hike up Mt. Mitchell in NC, but I will not have the extra time. I'll save that one for another time.

JimBob ~ a place you might consider is the Standing Indian NFS C/G just west of Franklin, NC. This is a Nantahala Nat'l Forest C/G, five sections to it, some sites right next to the river and some next to Kimsey Creek which empties into the "Nan" right in the heart of the C/G. There's a wide variety of camp sites ranging from those favorable to large RV rigs to remote sites the big rigs cannot get to. Water spigots every so many sites, plus flush toilets and hot showers - no electrical hook-ups. Once again, the Nantahala River runs right through the C/G ... there's rainbow & browns ... further up river above the falls there's brookies. AND, a section the A.Trail is right next to the C/G - plus other hiking trails galore.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBob View Post
    I was thinking about doing a dayhike or two on the AT in Georgia (Springer Mt and/or Blood Mt),
    You are a far braver man than me, I drove over Blood Mt a couple of times, no way I could hike it. Of course an average hike for me is a trip from my recliner to the bathroom. I made one trip early one morning, I can't remember the road number, but if it's foggy, don't go. I still get scared thinking about it.
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread