+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello an a question

Default Hello an a question

Hello to everyone, I've been fishing for a couple of years and just recently discovered your site. I am looking forward to learning some new things and maybe even contributing.My first question is for anyone who has fished in southwest Montana in August. I have a chance to do some fishing out there in the middle of August , this summer. I'm a little concerned right now due to the below average snow fall. The snow pack for those rivers are in the high 70's and low 80 percent. Do you think at this time it is still to early to tell how the lack of snow will effect the water levels this coming summer? Has anyone experienced fishing in that area when the water levels aren't ideal? Thanks in advance fo your help.

Last real bad water year was 2007; below average snow pack, early warm spring, hot dry summer, fires everywhere. Rivers throughout the state were either closed or on Hoot Owl restrictions (no fishing after noon); about the only places you could fish were tailwaters (along with everybody who got chased off the other streams), stillwaters and high mountain streams.

You're right, it's too early to tell what it's going to be like this summer; next few months could still bring lots of snow, spring could be delayed, summer could be cool & relatively damp (it does happen). I know, it sucks if you're trying to make plans; I'd try and hold off as long as you can.

Hopefully, some of the locals like Wally, John, Sandy, Doug (okay he's a summer transplant) will chime in.

Regards,
    Scott

ps - welcome to the forum
    Last edited by ScottP; 02-07-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Willow,

I can't speak for South Western Montana, but can for South East Idaho. We as well have a below average snow pack, but have full resorvoirs. Because they kept them so full here I believe this fishing season should be ok. I am fearfull however for next year if we have another bad year. May we have plenty of water and a great season of fishing everywhere.

Blog Entries

There is still a lot of fishing around SW MT in the dog days even if the waters are low. You just need to go a little higher into the hills. Or change the time of year you fish.

If you can find a rock that doesn't already have someone standing on it, the fishing is no worse when the water is low. Some places are easier to fish, even, and the bugs still come off.

Blog Entries

Willow,

I did a lot of fishing in SW Montana in the rivers around Dillon when the state was in a serious drought. As indicated there will still be fishing, you may have to fish early in the morning and late in the evening if the water temps get too high, but I think it is still too early to predict what will happen. When the water gets too low people flock to the Missouri River. There will be water there as well as a lot and I mean a lot of fishermen. The Clark Fork River is always a good choice anytime, low water or high water. It is the largest river in Montana and has great fishing.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Willow Welcome aboard, you've found the best flyfishing site on the web.
    I have fished in SW Montana but in September.

No info for you, but welcome to the forum Willow. Luke
    Last edited by Luke McLeod; 02-07-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Separate your observations from your preconceptions. See what is, not what you expect.

Willow, no helpfull info for you but a welcome to FAOL. You will find some of the best folks hang out around here, if you have a question, just ask and someone will have an answer for you. Take care and enjoy yourself here, John.

I spend the summer in SW MT, on the Yellowstone River 35 miles north of the Park. Although the snowpack is a bit below normal on many of the watersheds for this time of year, the YTD rainfall is somewhat better, on average, so in my uneducated opinion I think that portends well for the upcoming summer, everthing being equal. Also, although I don't know this for sure, I can't help but feel that the water tables must still be holding water from last winter's extraordinary snowfall.

I think we'd all like to see more snowpack (snowwater equivalent), but I think it's much too early to sound the alarm.

Here's where you can get up to date information, in case you do not have it already: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reports...ateReport.html

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Default Snowpack near normal

The months of Feb Mar and Apr will bring about .25 -.33 of your annual snowfall according to stats. I'd say you are close to average for this year so far. Plus what John Rhodes said about last years snowfall and the water table.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

+ Reply to Thread