+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2wt Outfit

Default 2wt Outfit

Help me put together a (relatively) budget 2wt outfit. A lot of the streams that I'm planning on targeting this year are small, tight streams so I don't want to go any longer than a 6'6". I'd like to hear suggestions on everything, but especially line types/brands. I'm also not trying to spend a fortune. That being said, I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for', so I'm willing to pay for quality.

Thanks.
    Mark

Mark,

If you're up for making your own, I highly recommend this:

http://store.hookhack.com/Forecast-B...tinfo/BB6624B/

Regards,
    Scott

Budget-wise vs quality, I don't think you can go wrong with the Batsn or Sevier blanks. My Seviers have landed warm water species up to 7 #'s, and many rainbows up to 17" and still had a lot left in them. They are a real ball to fish with, and very manageable.

The Cabela's catalogue has 31 pages of fly rods! Very few 2 wt's., none matching your 6'6" and all expensive! The Hook & Hackle kit recommended by Scott is a perfect match. (I think it was my second build and very easy) I had Ron swap out the snake guides for single foots. There are some very good articles on rod building in the archives.

Definitely the time to start building your own rod!

I bought one of these when I was at the Mid West show in MI a few years back. Love it. Put a smal Martin reel on it and use it on the small streams around here.

http://www.green-stix.com/Flyrods.html

Blog Entries

A good choice for a rod would be the TFO Signature Series rod in their 6' 0", 2 weight, 2 piece version. Then get yourself a decent click & pawl reel and a double taper line or a weight forward line and you will have it made.
    http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/pro...signature.html

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

If you have never fished short rods, I suggest trying it before spending a chunk of change. They are different.

Cabelas does have a short 2, the TQR, in 5' and 7' lengths. 5' is a little over $100. Never fished one of these, they replaced the Clear Creek rods, that I do own and have fished a lot.

TFO's Finesse 2wt is 7'3", so outside your parameters. Their Lefty Kreh Signature II line has a 6' 2wt, tho., for about $120.

Or you can build one from any number of blanks. Or build yourself a boo. *S*

My 1wt sports a SA System 2L 2/3 reel, and for lighter rods (5 and under) I prefer an SA XPS DT line in gray.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    If you have never fished short rods, I suggest trying it before spending a chunk of change. They are different.
    I have some old fiberglass rods that are short, just not a 2wt.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look into the prospect of building a rod myself, it honestly hadn't ever crossed my mind until Scott mentioned it. Any suggestions on a good, all inclusive kit or should I buy the components separately? I'll check out the rod building pages to pick the brains of those who frequent them as well.

Thanks again. Any other suggestions on putting an outfit together?

Mark,

The Hook and Hackle kits are pretty good. I did what Jack Hise suggested and subbed single foot guides for snakes. I also went with a single-piece cork handle/reel seat just because they looked cool.

Regards,
    Scott

ps - http://rodbuilding.org/list.php?2 is a great site if you want to roll your own

+ Reply to Thread