+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Fly Why ?

Default A Fly Why ?

I am a fly tyer, my name is Andy Brasko. My question to this board comes after this short intro story the leads into my question:

A fly fisherman will go out and look at all the rods that are available to him. Based on budget and feel this purchas could be between $200 - $775 now adays. Then of Course the fly fisherman wants to balance out the rod with a nice new looking reel which could go again based on ones budget from $50 - $500 easy. Now the fly fisherman decides that he needs a really good fly line to complimnet his rod and reel selection, so he spends anywhere from $29.99 - $99.99. Okay we have the rod, reel, line and just one more thing to get some leaders and tippet. So about $2.59 - $5.99 is spent on the leader and again on a spool of tippet. Now in this process the fly fisherman has taken his time selecting and seeing what feels right and looks appeasing to his eye. So now it comes down to the flies. Some people look at the sign in the shop to see what might be just working and go and buy a handfull of flies. Others look for their favorites that they know will work. Others do not know what is good and will work or take the time to read and buy what they think looks buggy/fish catchers. Next, there are others that decide to go the route of the internet to get flies cheap and in bulk. Lastly there are the fly tyers. Some who want quick and easy fast tyes, Others that want well constructed flies and looks that match a species in ones local stream then there are nuts like me that wants quality, looks well built and of course a piece of art work. Okay enough. let's get to the question:

Why is it that a person will buy an expensive rod, reel, fly line and leaders and tippet material and scrimp or do not care on the part of the whole outfit the catches the fish (The FLY)?

I cannot answer this question becasue my philosophy is that a well constructed fly that looks like a work of art should be fished on your outfit. Not some $0.99 fly that was found by uncle cheach at the blueberry fly website.. So back to my question, what is your take on this when you see my write up and question. I thought this would be a very interesting topic that would generate a really good thread.

Sincerely
    Andy Brasko
    Genuine Wet Fly Tyer & Fisherman
    Last edited by Fontinalis; 01-31-2012 at 01:10 PM.

In my case it is because that fly is going to be hanging in a tree VERY SOON!

As you can tell by my user name, Royce stole my answer
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Since I tie all my flies, for the most part I like quick, easy patterns that are, hopefully, well-constructed (if they're not I have no one to blame but myself). I'll never have any of mine considered works of art; as long as the fish think it looks like something to eat, I'll be happy. I appreciate the effort and skill it takes to tie some of the masterpieces I've seen, but give me something like a CDC & Elk, easy to tie, buggy as he.l, and I'll go with that fly every time. Even after it's been chewed to something that looks like it just came out of my drier's lint trap, it still catches fish. Some of the nymphs I see, with every leg, antenna, gill represented are awesome, but there's no way I'd fish them down in the rocks where they need to be fished when something like a Rubber Legs, a born Kamikaze fly that I can tie in under 5 minutes, works just as well. Lose one of them and I just reach for another; lose an anatomically correct work of art and I'll sit on the bank and cry, or even worse, not fish the hole properly.

Regards,
    Scott

What Scott said....

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

I have plenty of "pretty" flies bought from top tyers at the shows. I fish expensive bamboo rods, with a Bogdan reel and a Phoenix silk line. However it seems I really start catching more fish after my fly gets a little beat up, even after a fish or two chomp on it. Pretty flies catch fly fisherman(great for sales), ugly flies catch fish!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I tie my own flies also. After spending those (to me) ridiculous prices for hardware (rods, reels & lines) I don't have any money left for quality tied flies. Shoot, I don't even have enough for those ridiculously priced pieces of hardware. I think that like many other industries, fly fishing in general has priced a great deal of the middle class out of the market. When I was working, or when I had a financial windfall, I'd splurge and get a nice rod or reel. I even spent $60 one time for a fly line. WHEW! Now that I've been forced into retirement, like a lot of other people, the only equipment I use is either cheap or given to me. It's sad too, because I believe the current market trend has lent itself to the notion of fly fishing being an elitists sport, when it should be for the common man.
    Wow! Looks like a can of worms (or flies as it were) was opened here. Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

For the same reason that a person with an $60,000.00 Mercedes feels good about saving 3 cents a gallon on gasoline on $3.50 gasoline.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    because I believe the current market trend has lent itself to the notion of fly fishing being an elitists sport, when it should be for the common man.
    Wow! Looks like a can of worms (or flies as it were) was opened here. Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.
    I think it's been that way for a while. Several years ago it hit home to me when I read an article in Fly Rod and Reel magazine, interviewing some chef from New York City who took up fly fishing a couple years prior, as a way to "unwind"... he instantly loved it so much that he simply HAD to rush out and buy a home on streamside property on one of the famous Catskill streams.... I remember the quote that he "Just considered it part of the initial equipment investment" ???!!!
    How in the hell are 99.9999% of other fishermen supposed to identify with that? It was the last FR&R rag I picked up, but I did see that my letter to them was published online, and they maintained there was no "snobbery" in their portrayal. BTW the chef went on to say how trout were too valuable and precious to EVER take one from the stream, but a quick look online at the menu of his high-falootin' slophouse in NYC showed several fish dishes available.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    For the same reason that a person with an $60,000.00 Mercedes feels good about saving 3 cents a gallon on gasoline on $3.50 gasoline.
    now THAT'S funny, and so true!! It's not part of my world, but it's funny and true!

For me, I enjoy the thrill of using a fly that I tied myself. I can count on one hand the number of flies I've bought, because I was tying before I was fly fishing. That said, my flys generally look like crappy .99 flys, though they are getting better and some are downright worth being proud of. A fish caught with my worst looking fly is more satisfying than a fish caught with a $5 work of someone else's art, because it is my fly.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread