+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Vis?

Default Hi Vis?

Is Hi Vis the same as antron? If not, does anyone know where I can get a price on Hi Vis? I'm going to a show this weekend and would like to compare prices.

Thanks!

About the only place I know of to get the orginal Hi-Vis is at TCO fly shop in Pennsylvania. Very nice to do business with. It is Antron, but with a little different twist.

Blog Entries

I think Dan Bailey's has it, or Float-vis, which is about the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    I think Dan Bailey's has it, or Float-vis, which is about the same thing.
    See, the thing is, I ran into a guy from Pennsylvania last summer who had it in every color and used it exclusively and he kind of talked me into it - and I had lots of "float-vis" which is great stuff in the bright colors for para posts, but he said it was nothing like the real hi-vis, from Rumpf, that used to be made by the Liqui-Lace folks, and now is available only from the Rumpf dealers. So, it depends on what you really want. He used the hi-vis for sparkle duns in lieu of hair and wouldn't have anything else. It's a little kinkier than float-vis, but not as kinky as z-lon.

The question jcotrel1 has to ask is "how kinky do I need it?" I could not do that without blushing profusely.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    The question jcotrel1 has to ask is "how kinky do I need it?" I could not do that without blushing profusely.

Regards,
    Scott
    I could...

Blog Entries

Well, I don't tie sparkle duns, so all I use it for is adding some color to the top of a fly so I can see it now and then, and kinkiness is not necessary.

Blog Entries

I like Hi-Vis for very durable parachute posts and wings.
    I save the trimmings to add texture and flash to dubbing. (I've been known to tend towards frugality. I save quills and feather tips, too. I use the fluff at the base of hackle feathers for marabou, when appropriate. That's how I found out how great the fluff from turkey quills is for tying streamers.)

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by jcotrel1 View Post
    Is Hi Vis the same as antron? If not, does anyone know where I can get a price on Hi Vis? I'm going to a show this weekend and would like to compare prices.

Thanks!
    The packs of Hi-Vis I have are manufactured by L & L Products in Bethpage, NY. It's been awhile since I bought this stuff and I think the price was about $2.25/pack. It's excellent stuff and it is not quite the same as antron. Not sure what the actual difference is but it's stiffer and kinkier than antron. As 'herefishy' said, it is used exclusively by a particular person(shop) on the Delaware for shucks and some other 'body parts'. I happen to like working with it too.
    Allan

Yes, I think it was that person's brother that I ran into this summer, at least Delaware sounds about right. It's no longer made in Bethpage or by L&L, Rumpf is the only source I can find for it, and I really searched around for it. You can talk to them and they will do a "drop ship" through a fly shop that is a customer. You might also try "troutlet.com"

+ Reply to Thread