+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on a 6wt.

Default Opinions on a 6wt.

I am looking to buy a 6wt. outfit for a trip I'm taking out west this June. This rod is going to be used primarily for nymphs/streamers. It may see light bass action in the future as well. So far the rods I'm thinking on are St. Croix LU. Winston Ascent, TFO Jim Teeny and TiCR, and Cabelas LST. Any body care to offer any opinions on these rods?

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

Out west is a big place...do you have any idea exactly where out west you will be fishing? I do not own or have ever cast any of the rods your have mentioned. I have flyfished in Oregon and Washington for many years with a bamboo rod and once had the good fortune to fly fish along side Jim Teeny on the upper Sandy river for winter steelhead in the mid 70's. In my opinion, he is MR. Wet Fly....if he endorses it, I would be led to believe it will live up to his reccomendations. i also know it is a very well priced rod. I am sure you will get good advice, fair well, Jonezee

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 11 April 2006).]

I recently had the pleasure of casting a TFO Professional, 9'-4piece-6wt. I was so pleased with it that I'm saving for one of my own. It cast well in wind, and laid out a fine loop. It outcast even a Winston that I tried the same day. I cast several rods that day, and the TFO not only out cast them all, but was the most affordable of the lot. My suggestion would be to try as many rods as you can and make your own choice. Everyone casts differently. Only you can tell what's best for you. But, I do suggest you try the TFO.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe

[This message has been edited by Lotech (edited 11 April 2006).]
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

See my post in the For Sale section.

Why don't you try to find a Sage 9' for 6 RPL or RPL+? They are great rods, and, though discontinued, for many still set the standard for a western fly rod.

Bob

------------------
    "They always talk about my drinking, but they never think about my thirst"...old Scottish proverb

I too bought the TFO Pro only in a 10' 5wt 4 piece, but for the money, what a rod. It does cast beautifully into the wind, but I am also able to lay size 26 dries with a very light presentation.
    As far as 6 wts. I own a T3 tip flex 9 ft for the windy days, and a 9'6" TL and 9' Custom Silver Label for all around.
    I will say I like the 9'6" to 10' in the six weight.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

I agree with BSwan. The RPL+ was an awesome rod and still my personal favorite. Of the rods you listed, I would probably take the Ultra. It's still made in the USA. No offense to the TFO owners.

The St. Croix LU is a great rod for the type of fishing you suggested, nymphs and streamers. Of those you listed, it would be my pick.

Hey fishin' fool, Where do you plan on heading in June? The snowpack is actually looking good this year and the rivers may be raging throughout June..

Anyhow, I have a St Croix LU 6wt. It is a great rod for the west. It can handle streamers, big nymphs, and the wind. Something that is necessary out west. My biggest regret is not purchasing the rod sooner..

------------------
    [url=http://www.rockymtnfly.com:d476d]- Rocky Mountain Fly -[/url:d476d]

Thanks everybody for the responses. I appreciate the input. For those that asked, I'm headed to Northern Idaho, and will be fishing in that area and in Montana from June 2 to June 13. Hopefully these dates will coincide with some good fishing, but as we all know it's not called catching for a reason, and mother nature loves to play a prank or two on the traveling angler.

Tight lines
    Jeff

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

+ Reply to Thread