+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How many rods do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    or guns for that matter...
    Guns? Did someone mention guns. Ok, I think, (notice I said think) I have 2 .45, 1 .40, 1 .357, 3 12 ga., 1 .410 ga., 1 20 ga., 1 30.06, 1 25.06, 2 .22, 1 .17, 1 .223. I think.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Probably too many, in mosts opinion, but I really don't care!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

I own too many yet I own too few.

Larry ---sagefisher---

A Winston pre im6 two piece #5. Caught a lot of fish. Started with that rod, bought a lot of others, finishing up with that rod.

You may remember that a little over 3 weeks ago I found an interesting way to get rid of a couple of rods, so my rather meager inventory had a couple of rather obvious holes in it. That is until today, when a package arrived from Colorado Custom Rods. He may play Santa for the Cub Scouts but as fair as I'm concerned Kevin really is Santa Claus. A 8 ft. 5 wt. tiger eye customized for me. Words are not adequate to express the appreciation I have for this unselfish act of kindness.

Rod by Kevin 1.jpgRod by Kevin 2.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    You may remember that a little over 3 weeks ago I found an interesting way to get rid of a couple of rods, so my rather meager inventory had a couple of rather obvious holes in it. That is until today, when a package arrived from Colorado Custom Rods. He may play Santa for the Cub Scouts but as fair as I'm concerned Kevin really is Santa Claus. A 8 ft. 5 wt. tiger eye customized for me. Words are not adequate to express the appreciation I have for this unselfish act of kindness.

Attachment 9473Attachment 9474
    Nice, I guess? Was the rod pro gratis?
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I now own a st croix legend ultra in 5 wt for pond bass,bream and other panfish,i have decided to try and keep my discontinued loomis glx in 7'6" 4 weight and as we speak have my galvan flyreel with lines for sale on the boards and if they sell i will post my loomis 7' 3 pc 3 weight,i just don't use it,maybe 2-3 times,just bought it to match the 4 weight.I mostly use the 5 weight now since we fish the lake more than i do in the mountains for trout,those 5 hour drives one way for a max of three days gets costly.I feel for what you fish,say if its mountains for trout in tight cover buy a 3 and 4 weight rod with reel to match and keep the rest of the money in the bank!Rods sitting is money wasted...

If I really answer that question I would feel like I should sell some. I'm pleading the fifth amendment here.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post
    Nice, I guess? Was the rod pro gratis?
    It was a gift from a friend.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I've been very disciplined: I've managed to stay at fewer than 200 rods (graphite, bamboo, glass, boron), and I keep busy populating the spreadsheet of the rods x about 200 reels/lines so I figure I have plenty to do. That amounts to 40,000 cells on the face of it, but then I don't line a 1wt rod with a 4wt line, etc. so the actual number of combinations is somewhat less.

For awhile there I was buying rods 3 at a time (my favorite multiple choice answer is 'all of the above') and then I began getting specific, carefully chosen sticks for, not just specific waters, but particular pools. Then there was the one picky fish on the Beaverkill that I got 2 rods for to handle the situation. (I finally caught him, on a March Brown emerger).

But who knows what could happen at Somerset? I'm pondering the way of the Tenkara.

hp
    les

BTW - it takes me forever to wear out a line.
    Last edited by lestrout; 01-24-2012 at 09:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread