+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CQ Quills

Default CQ Quills

Now that winter has finally decided to makes it's way here in IA, thought it would be a good time to do some inventory on my fly tying materials .... way too much stuff!

Anyway I came across a large baggie of these CQ Quills I picked up somewhere. I believe they come from ducks .. I think. I noticed that allot of these feathers fluffy stuff, toward the bottom of the stems, seem to have the same qualities as CDC or maybe I'm wrong. But took some off the stem and tied them on a small dry hook to test it out. The fluffy stuff doesn't seem to sink even after they're in the water for awhile.

Am I off base here or will this work like CDC? Couldn't find allot of info on these CQ Quills so hoping someone here may have some experience with them

Thx's
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Nobody seems to be answering so I'll chime in...

What does CQ stand for?

In regard to the little feather you describe I think they are called "aftershaft feathers" and are used more as a fine marabou. I'm surprised you found that they float well. I wouldn't think they would act like cdc at all.

How are things going in NW Iowa? I grew up in Remsen.

My mistake, they're called Turkey & Goose Coquills. I just can't remember where I got them from. they do have very long gray/light gray feather fibers with white tips, most of them. The fluffy stuff at the bottom stem, it's not an aftershaft feather, just very long and fluffy. I was just curious if they could be used like CDC. I don't use much CDC myself.

We got hit hard this weekend with the winter weather here. up till about last week it's be averaging around 30-50 degrees, since early Dec., with hardly any snow at all yet. But we got the high winds and snow now! Guess we had to get some winter here

Mike
    Last edited by mickalo; 01-21-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

feather_parts_rsz_wiki.jpgA Google of CQ Quills got nothing. I found this picture of a feather. What part of the feather are you talking about?

Tim

I attached a picture of the turkey CQquill feather, it's the fluffy stuff toward the bottom of the feather. Kind of remind me of turkey flats

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Found this on a site...

CoquilleGoose coquille is a body feather from around the neck of the goose. The top 80 to 85% of the length of the feather is smooth, the rest is fluff. Sizes run from 1? to 5". Each yard is all one size feather, ie, all 3" or 4", etc. The feathers have a very sharpe curve almost a half circle. The white goose has pure white feathers. The grey goose has difference shades of grey feathers, while the darker goose feathers have a black iridescent sheen.

Mike - in response to your question about the feather acting like CDC. I would agree with duckster. I have taken the fluffy ends of the feather & removed it from the stem, dyed them and made dubing out of them. It worked OK but was more trouple than it was worth. Also used the fluff for tails & wings on wet flies but don't thinkit is very strong. After browsing the web I would conclude that the feathers greatest value is in creations of crafts like floral arrangements, etc. However since you have a bundle of them why not let your imagination run wild. You never know what you might create

.Tim

Thanks Panman, that was my think also. I didn't realize I even had these till yesterday. It's really amazing all the odds and ends ya pick up over time. I'm sure I can find some use for them.

Appreciate all the info gang,

Mike

Blog Entries

I've used the after feather portion of turkey quills (in lieu of marabou) to tie some killer streamers for bream and smallies in our local, small rivers. It is different from marabou.
    It isn't the same as your CQ.

Ed

Yea I planned to do some experimenting with them over the winter see what uses I can come up with. They do have some nice long fibers, grayish with white tips. I'm sure they'll make some interesting flies

Mike

+ Reply to Thread