+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery tool

Question Mystery tool

A member of our tying club came across a tool which we can't identify. I'm unable to send a pic or sketch so I hope my description will do. Basically it is like an aluminum wing burning tool except it has crossed tynes that will grip material upon releasing. The tips of the tynes are parallel along their length and about 3/8 inch wide across. Coming back from the tips of both tynes there is a slot for about 5/8 inch. Where these slots terminate there is a hole slightly larger than the slot width. What is the purpose of this tool? All thoughts are welcome.

Not sure I fully follow your description, but it sounds like a tool I have. It is used to hold material out of the way when you are ready to whip finish the fly. The thread slides down the slit, you then open the tweezers to capture the material and then release it to hold the material in place while you tie off. Then slide the tool off the thread through the slit.

At least that's what I always assumed it was for. I got mine years ago in a box of stuff I bought at a public sale. I think it was made by Herter's.
    Dave

Maybe a bead tweezer? Where there is a little pocket for the bead? When released the bead is held - magic!

So far my detailed description has been misunderstood, Sorry.

Blog Entries

Ray, a picture is worth a thousand words. You describe parts but not the spatial relationship of those parts. And where I come from, tines stab things, not grip them, which generates a mental picture of needleness...

1wing former.jpg

Look like one of these?

It is for making wings for wet flies if it is like the picture clearwater posted. Have not seen one in about 50 years.
    Last edited by fishbum; 01-21-2012 at 01:28 AM.

It sounds like a fancy pair of 'constant grip' tweezers, and similar items with (I presume) an heavier point are sold to hold flies while tying them on the leader and with thinner (more flexible) 'tynes' - similar to my image per the description above - are used by stamp collectors.
    The idea of them being used prior to a whip finish is interesting, but I have never felt the need of such a thing so I can't imagine it would be better than fingers.
    They sound kind of wide for fly tying, and I suspect the hole at the bottom of the slot is just there to prevent the 'tynes' from splitting.
    Looking forward to more info.

It's certainly been interesting following the guesses. I couldn't make heads or tails out of the description to start with, but after reading the last reply and rereading the original post, I'm wondering if it's just an old style hackle pliers. Along the lines of:
    http://www.cabelas.com/tools-vises-s...:referralID=NA.
    Perhaps the slots / holes were for attachment of the hackle "non-skid" pads?

Of course, this doesn't seemed like enough of mystery as these style hackle pliers are still available (although, in my experience, used less frequently than in the past).

Haven't a clue per description, but could very well be a tool to install products described in the "Feather Fashion" thread below...

+ Reply to Thread