+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will "give it a rest, already" after this one. Really into the Snowshoe though!

Blog Entries

Default Will "give it a rest, already" after this one. Really into the Snowshoe though!

I know I have been posting too much, but just wanted to share this one using the new snowshoe rabbit feet I just got. Really think this material adds a different texture to the flies. Thanks for putting up with my nuisance.
    Byron

Byron,Please don't give it a rest.I for one always enjoy your post.As a new tyer,I look forward to examining quality ties.Ray

Yes - - please keep them coming. Thanks

Tim

Blog Entries

you only just have over 600 posts, you cant be a pest untill you make at least 1500, keep the posts coming.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Byron,

Excellent tie,,,, your joking about too much, right,,, your inspiring juniors here including me,,
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Blog Entries

You quit posting da flies, I send Bruno and Guido to do da kneecap dance wit you...

On a more serious note, feel free to keep tying and posting.

Ed

Nice-looking fly as usual. The headline reminds me how much fun it is to hunt showshoe rabbits, or hares of you're picky. Having just retired (two weeks ago!) I can think about it again. In late winter when the snow starts to get crusty enough to walk on (with snow shoes) you can hike up the mountain almost anywhere. The morning after a light dusting of snow it the best time. Follow the rabbit tracks as quietly as possible. They's still see you first. But--like Mule Deer--they'll almost always spook and run off a short distance. And then stop and turn around to see what you're up to. That's when you squeeze off a shot. They're tasty too. Like giant cottontails. Wikipedia says they inhabit the Appalachian Mtns too.

Blog Entries

where are you?

I like the tail better than on some ealier atempts.
    Since most nymphs are brown, I suggest a Rusty Usual, with drk cinnamon Antron for the tail and a rusty body, particularly the abdomen - the thorax can be the colour of the emerging fly. It works well with a white (light) wing.
    Then perhaps some Caddis, just a rough dubbed body and a wing (like an elk wing) only made of snowshoe.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Blog Entries

Greg,
    The "tail" on this one is actually zelon material. It is a sparkle dun pattern, thus it isn't actually a tail, but a shuck which has not yet detatched. That is why the sparkle dun is so effective. It represents an "emergent" dun, if you will. One that is still stuck with its shuck and therefore is more available to the trout. The other reason the sparkle dun is so effective, I believe, is that it floats low on the water's surface.

+ Reply to Thread