+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paraloop Fly

Blog Entries

Default Paraloop Fly

Hi,

I don't think the paraloop style fly is used as much as the traditional parachute. Yet, I think it presents an even better "footprint" on the water surface.
    What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Byron

NewTyer 1 Guest

Byron, that is a sweet looking fly and should fish well. Nice job.

I really like them, going to fish them more this year. Tied some paraloop griffith's gnats, but haven't tried them yet

Great looking fly. I really like Ian Moutter's book on the subject.

AlanB Guest

Those are really good looking flies, Byron. Looking at them has just given me an idea. Hmm it may be possible to include a wing/sight post.
    Cheers,
    A.

AlanB Guest

The only time I used these I found them difficult to see at distance on the water. My thought then was if you could incorporate a wing/sight post they would be even better. Looking at yours gave me the inspiration to try. Here it is. All I've done is tie a loop into the yarn used for the paraloop, then trim off the top after tying in.

It may be useful for those of us with the failing eyesight of advancing years.
    Cheers,
    A.

Great idea, Alan, will try that - they are hard to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    Hi,

I don't think the paraloop style fly is used as much as the traditional parachute. Yet, I think it presents an even better "footprint" on the water surface.
    What do you think?
    Thanks,
    Byron
    Nice looking fly, Byron.

I'm not sure what an even better footprint is, exactly. For example, I've already caught 50 wild trout in 2 hours on my traditionally tied Parachute Adams on the Yellowstone River. How can another fly have a better footprint that would produce better results?

I'm not sure your paraloop fly has as many barbules to touch/sit on the water as a traditionally tied parachute does. As a result it may not have the same degree of flotation in heavier current flows and may not be as good a floater, but may in fact be a better fish catcher in more moderate/calmer water.

I think you'd have to try it in a variety of conditions to see whether this really is a "better footprint" that results in more fish. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

I tend to agree with John Rhoades on the "footprint" question. Not saying that isn't a real nice fly and tie, Byron, just that I don't think paraloop footprints are better or worse than conventional parachute patterns, depending on conditions. And visibility is pretty much built in with the conventional parachutes.

I do think that "thorax" style flies may offer a better "footprint", but then again, I'm not a fish so I'm not really sure about that.

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

My thought is this: I believe the traditional parachute usually has hackle fiber ends which touch the water further out from the fly and at a lower angle. Hard to explain, but the hackle on the paraloop seems to put the hackle points closer to the body and primarily to the sides - like insect legs.
    Probably didn't do a good job of explaining that. I will see if there is anything in Moutter's book to better explain what I am trying to say.

And, the top-side fibers form a possible appearance of a wing...........

Moutter says that it is mostly because it rides so low in the water, but not sure that differs from a parachute in that characteristic. I do know that they work and they are quite easy to tie.
    Byron

p.s. I found this explanation on the web on a site which was discussing the paraloop style:

"When tied properly, the hackle barbs on a Paraloop pattern seem to explode from the top of the body in all directions, like a big koosh ball. This wing profile keeps the fly floating well in calm waters, while deviating significantly from the standard parallel-to-the-hook footprint of a parachute pattern. The paraloop hackle also creates an unobstructed view of the underside of the thorax and abdomen, accentuating the thin bodies of these flat-water patterns."

From the same article in Westfly:

"But why go through the trouble of constructing a paraloop hackle instead of using a parachute hackle or trimmed standard hackle when these latter alternatives have the advantages of speed and convenience? Because the paraloop offers better floatation due to the hundreds of intact hackle fibers; these help displace the water better than a trimmed hackle or a sparse parachute hackle."

Personally, I just like the looks of them over a standard parachute and they seem to work well for me.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 01-05-2012 at 06:58 PM.

+ Reply to Thread