+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korn's CDC Spent-wing Caddis

Default Korn's CDC Spent-wing Caddis

Korn's CDC Spent-wing Caddis

for material list see it here: http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/2012/...ng-caddis.html

TL ~ Dougie
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

http://55onthefly.blogspot.com/

Doug -

That's a very nice looking fly.

With some minor variations, I have been tying ones very similar to yours for the past 15 years or so, and can attest to their effectiveness. I am especially enamored with the long CDC barbules extending beyond the hook's bend, and know from on-stream tests that this feature of your fly will outcatch flys that are identical in all respects, but missing the long CDC fibers.

Incidentally, I spend the summer (to early October) on the Yellowstone just north of Emigrant.

Another beauty, Doug. I tied some up for the Madison last summer but the hatch wasn't happening by the time I got there. Hope my timing's better this year.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    Doug -

That's a very nice looking fly.

With some minor variations, I have been tying ones very similar to yours for the past 15 years or so, and can attest to their effectiveness. I am especially enamored with the long CDC barbules extending beyond the hook's bend, and know from on-stream tests that this feature of your fly will outcatch flys that are identical in all respects, but missing the long CDC fibers.

Incidentally, I spend the summer (to early October) on the Yellowstone just north of Emigrant.
    John ~ I've been fishing several variations of this fly for many, many years and it's a killer.... I have been working in Gardiner - Parks Fly Shop the last four years, guiding and fly tying for them.... But this year I'll be in Maine for the summer and then back to Gardiner, MT in 2013.... I don't guide anymore, but tie LOTS of flies for PFS and do LOTS of field testing... I just love the entire area of Yellowstone Country...
    Last edited by dr korn; 01-05-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

Doug -

That is one great looking caddis. Any chance you would do a Fly of the Week so it will be in the archives for future reference ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Great imitation of a caddis!!!!

Blog Entries

Doug, I only have partridge to use for overwings. Think this will work or not?
    Thanks,
    Byron

Byron - that will fish.... nice.

Speaking of fishing this fly. When I fish it I fish it as a dropper, 12-18 inches behind an EHC or Hopper, etc... They can be tough to see as they ride low on the surface. Also, after a few fish the fly tends to ride low in the film. That's OK because the fish love to take it in the film, but it is hard to see.

One tip, when cutting the notch try not to cut it too deep... Notice mine in the photo.... Personally I like the notch but remember, that part of the wing helps to float the heavy rear part of the hook. When I tie them for the shop I omit this step and leave the wing full.

Thanks for giving it a go!
    Last edited by dr korn; 01-05-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Doug -

That is one great looking caddis. Any chance you would do a Fly of the Week so it will be in the archives for future reference ??

John
    John, I would.... How do I submit? Format?
    Doug... a.k.a. 55dougie

Quote Originally Posted by dr korn View Post
    John, I would.... How do I submit? Format?
    Doug,

Pulled this from a similar thread request:

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    The Bottom Crawler or anyone else's favorite fly are very welcome here as Fly of the Week - our readers want to know what you've come up with that works! Take a good look at the Fly of the Week, we need step-by-step instructions, a material list, and something about how to fish the fly (or maybe how/why it was created). If you have questions just ask me.
    publisher@flyanglersonline.com

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread