+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Norvise Bobbins?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by waynep View Post
    The Norvise intrigues me but I yet to decide if it would be a benefit for my tying. I am currently using an HMH Spartan. It's done the job, but I am real curious afar watching Norm's videos. I may just get a the bigger HMH Bench vise. Maybe a Norvise or a Renzetti Traveler. Just curious about the Norvise . . .
    I have a couple Renzettis, HMH, Griffin, and a NorVise... I have had the Nor-Vise less than a year and have been tying for about 50 years... There is nothing you can do on another vise that cannot be done on a Nor-Vise. There are a lot of things you can do on a Nor-Vise that are at least far more difficult, if not impossible, on other vises.

Without the Nor-Vise the bobbins are not as totally useful... I have a bunch of bobbins and spare spools and they get used heavily... I just keep them piled in a heap to make things difficult.

Just got a Nor Vise for Christmas. After initially setting the return bobbin backwards and it "not working", I switched it around(easily done). WOW! That is all I have to say!
    Do you guys use anything to wrap the bobbins when not in use to keep the thread from unraveling? There is no notch in bobbin to hold the thread in place.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 12-27-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

That probably explains that will brownout I heard about in NE Mississippi. Might want to look at steel futures and shortages.

I know the NorVise has to be fun, try not to influence the commodities market too much.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Wolf

You can do two things to hold the thread in place. One you can wrap the thread around the thread post. Two you can pull extra thread out of the bobbin to a point where it will not return to the spool. Fishin' Jimmy

BBW,

I use an o-ring and slip it over the thread and tube to lock it in place. Norm sometimes inlcudes a peice of elastic tubing of sort cut to about 1/8" in length or so to to do the same thing as well as perform double duty as a hackle guard.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

BBW,

I noticed in your pic of your new vise and stuff on another thread, that the tip of your bobbin was covered in a blue plastic thing. It's not just there to protect the bobbin. With some thread protruding from the bobbin tip, put the blue platic thing back on the tip. Thread will not retract until you remove the blue palstic thing.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have 3 Nor Bobbins and 34 spools. I set up an old UNI box ( pencil box ) to hold it all. The spools I carry are wound with various colors of UNI thread in 6/0, 8/0 and Sheer in 14/0. Small rubber o-rings are used on my nor bobbins to hold the thread. They do have a learning curve and take a little time to get used to. I do use other bobbins on occasion for heavy, specialty or silk threads. I use a renzetti Presentation 2000 vise and a bobbin cradle. The thread is held with small elastic bands I made.

Box for bobbins
    Last edited by rons81; 12-27-2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

If the nor bobbin was built to accept a thread spool I would buy 4 or 5. I have 3 ekich bobins just because i can just slap a spool of thread on it & go to trying without the bother of winding thread on a special spool first before it can be used...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Bugman

What you want are Ekich Automatic Bobbins- You switch spools of standard size thread with this design.
    They cost with shipping around $1i0 each. I have Two but because of my EXyra large hands I Prefer
    the Nore bobbin. One is new and one is lightly use I would sell Both of them together them for $140 shipped lower 48.
    What I am looking for are older Nore bobbins from the 1990's that have a stronger sprin, I am will to put up with breakage problem that this modle has. ANYONE HAVE ANY THEY WOULD LIKE TO SELL??

Fishin' Jimmy

Have had my Norvise for a couple years now and love it. Also like his bobbins and actually even though I have a lot of regular bobbins I also have 4 of the auto-bobbins from Norm. He's a great guy too! I also broke down and bought one of the higher cost auto-bobbins (Ekich) and while I use it when I tie with smaller thread ( I tie lots of jigs so don't use light thread all that much) I will use it. However I don't like how you have to pull the spool part way off in the middle of tying to release the spring. I like Norm's way much better the way it resets on it's on.

Love the idea of marking the spools inside so guess I may need more spools than I have now which is only 16. Will pick up another 10 or so I think.

I also have had a Danvise I started with, then sold, but also still have my Renzetti Salt Water Traveler and my Peak witch I like a lot, but my Nor is my favorite by far. Even being a Peak dealer I wouldn't ever give up my Norvise! It just makes life easier tying.

Skip
    Last edited by Skip48; 12-28-2011 at 12:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread