+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ted Williams Fly rod

Default Ted Williams Fly rod

My cousin in Indiana has his fathers Ted Williams tubuler fiberglass fly rod and we were wondering if anyone knew much about them? The rod is in very good shape, I think 8' 6" 6weight. Am trying to get him going on this sight but he is "afraid" he will seem dumb. Still working on him.

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 10 April 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 10 April 2006).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

A Sears-Robuck product
    I have one of the spinning rods
    Nothing special as far as I know

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

"I object to fishing tournaments less for what they do to fish than what they do to the fisherman"

Ted Williams (1984)

Ted williams was a big spokesman for Sears, everything from guns, baseball,fishing and all sports related products in one way or another ended up with his autograph on it.

A very interesting sports person in a age of some uninteresting sports personalties. IMO

Ignorance is no excuse not to join in on FAOL, If your cousin likes to fly fish or is interested in getting into fly fishing, he is welcome and there is no such thing as a dumb question....just sometimes dumb answers. I am sure you can learn to live with that. Again, Welcome.

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 10 April 2006).]

Weren't the Williams "endorsed" Sears products considered a cut above the usual Sears products of the time?

Thanks people, I sort of knew about the Williams line from my days with a FFL, only in the firearm end of things.

Talked to cousin just 20 min. ago and hit him up again about joining here. He has access to a couple of farm ponds, inlaws of his, and property on Sogney (sp) Lake, so he can get some good gill fishing in.

AND I will get back up there to try it myself!

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney
    Wyo-Blizzard

Jonezee,

"A very interesting sports person in a age of some uninteresting sports personalties".

You have got to be kidding! Are you forgetting that most athletes of that era gave up years, as well as their lives, in the service. Twice in Williams' career he went off to serve his country. In spite of years, careers and lives lost, that era had many interesting sports personalities.

Back to the initial question. Somewhere in some deep recess, I think the Sears T.W. rod was the same as the Shakespear Wonder-rod. Not sure though.

Allan

Allan

Rings a bell, Allan.

Allen - Let me clarify...I grew up in the 50's, that is the era I place Williams with in regards to his endorsing products, not playing baseball. As a veteran I can well appreciate Mr. Williams and all other athletes who served in our armed forces. I don't see how serving in the war has anything to do with making someone interesting or not. For me Baseball's hayday was in the 60's, those years spawned many "interesting sports personalties" (for me). In the future I will endeavor to provide a by line that will please all posters and not offend any, regardless of race, creed or sports affiliation. Like I said before, you have your opinion, I have mine. Thank you for the reply, have a nice evening.

Byron,
    You should introduce your cousin to me. There is almost nothing about fly fishing that I'm not ignorant of. Sorry for ending my sentence with a preposition.
    I used to own a Ted Williams 7 1/2 horse outboard motor. It was sold by Sears, distributed by McColough (the chain saw people)and manufactured by Scott Atwater. It was the best, BAR NONE, trolling motor I've ever owned. When it died, it changed my fishing habits forever. It was a short shaft, powerful, quiet and easy to start power unit. It also came with a sump pump baling attachment. I REALLY miss that motor.

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Jonezee,

Like you, I grew up in the 50s. Well, actually I was born in the late 40s. In regard to what you wrote:

" I don't see how serving in the war has anything to do with making someone interesting or not."

Here's why - Many athletes went off to war therebyt diluting the sports world of the personalities during that time.

Like you said, we all have opinions.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread