+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Prestige Plus fly line

Default Cabelas Prestige Plus fly line

Hi guys...what's your experience with these lines?
    Thank you in advance
    Waterfox

I used the 3wt. several years back and it was pretty descent. It didn't last as long as some of my other lines. I believe it was/is made by Cortland.

Used one on my 3 wgt rod for several years, caught lots of cutthroat on it, shot through the guides nicely. No complaints from me, especially at the price point.

Had one that came with a combo. Did not like it at all. It was the first Cabela's product that disappointed me.

oldfrat, You didn't say why. ???

[This message has been edited by Ray Kunz (edited 06 April 2006).]

Sorry, Ray.

It was a WF4. It did not load the rod well, which surprised me given that it was part of a combo. It started sinking within the first hour of fishing.

At first I thought I had bought a terrible combo. Then I switched over to a peach 444 DT and fell in love with the rod.

I've been very happy with Cabela's stuff for quality and value. I didn't complain to Cabela's or ask for a replacement as I figured the fly line was free and I got exactly what I paid for it.

I have some in 6 wf that I bought and use a few times. It's not bad line. I think it is now made by SA. I say that based on a conversation I had with Bruce Richards. He told me that Cabelas line is more true to the rated weight, where Cortland can weight a bit heavier.

In casting and fishing with it, I was not unhappy with it. I have since sold the rod I used it on and it is now back on the spool.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I have one on a PT 5wt combo and don't really care for it either. Just like Oldfrat said it tends to sink rather quickly and pickups up a lot of gunk. I also have more trouble casting it than the GPX on another 3wt and another 5wt. I now have a sink leader on it and use it to cast cracklebacks.

Do you think the Prestige Multi-Tip outfit would have the same problems...e.i would the floating line main line and floating tip be likely to sink? It might be made by a different company...I' thinking Rio?????

I have had a presitge plus fly line from Cabelas now for about 3 years. I like it for my 5 weight PT rod. I hate spending 60 dollars for a fly line. I havent had any problems with it so its served its purpose. Im sure it still has one more season left in it depending on how much I use it this year. The next line I want to try is Hook and Hackles Hi Floater lines. Ive heard good things about them and they are also less than 60 dollars.

Seege

[This message has been edited by FIREMAN (edited 07 April 2006).]

[This message has been edited by FIREMAN (edited 07 April 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread