+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Been ask a Million times I bet, Best Fly Floatant?

The "BEST" floatant ever, hands down;
    http://www.drlogik.com/flyfloatants.html

2. Default

I remember that stuf. Used to cover the top with the heal of my hand, turn it over till the top was full then turn it over till it all drained in to the bottom again, screw on the top & have a fly that stayed high & dry. I'd say OSHA, EPA, AMA, DNR, PETA & everal other letters of the alphabet decided it wasn't good for us.

The best long lasting easy to use and very inexpensive is Albolene. I've used the scented or unscented without a problem catching trout. The problem with scented is that you may to explain the scent to your wife. A jar will last you years. Any store that caries make-up products carry it.

And you can dissolve Albolene in a solvent just like described for paraffin and then use it just as described for the paraffin mixture.

1. Before the Frogs Fanny is applied, the fly needs to be at least partially dried with Shamadou, a piece of chamois, or repeated false casting. Then the powder is worked i with the brush. I have no problem keeping flies floating using this method.
    2. If your flies are tied with CDC or Hare's Foot, there is no other choice but Frog's Fanny. For other flies Gink or other gel type floatants will work if applied sparingly to a fly that is dry. Applying gel floatant too heavily, or to a fly that is wet, will actually cause the fly to sink.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Last year I saw some posts on here about 'Frog Fanny' floatant being better than sliced bread and being one of Pavlov's Dogs went out and purchased TWO bottles of it. I am not calling anyone out with this or being critical of your judgement or use of this product. I am not nearly as good at fly fishing as some of y'all. I cannot get this stuff, the Frog Fanny, stuff to work. It will float a fly for one or maybe two casts and has to be reapplied. One of two things:

1. Am I doing it wrong? Use the brush and rub the stuff in. Floats the fly once or twice.

2. What is the NEXT best fly floatant?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Dry Magic is gel that is formulated to work on CDC. I was very skeptical myself because all other gels and pastes ruin the CDC. But Tiemco's Dry Magic does work. It just disappears into the fibers and waterproofs them. I then add the FF material.

Dry magic is expensive and I use it only on CDC. I use Aquel for my other dry flies like you do.

There is another fly floatant that I use that I can get only at Blue Ribbon flies at the counter. It is in a yellow squeeze tube and called Hydrophobe. It works great on fly bodies but it is a thicker paste/gel that tend to clump up hair and tail fibers. It is the longest lasting paste/gel floatant I have found. Not many folks know about Hydrophobe because BRF is the only place I have found it. I was turned onto Hydrophobe by a friend who was catching fish after fish and not retreating his flies. I had to retreat my fly after every fish. So I asked him what floatant he used and it was Hydrophobe.

If you are ever in Blue Ribbon in West Yellowstone, get a tube. You will not be disappointed other than at the cost of the small tube.

"The only floatant that I've found acceptable has been a product called Hydrophobe which is made in France and difficult to find in any fly shops."

http://www.iffa.org.uk/floatant.htm

"Only one company, Hydrophobe, makes a fly floatant in a container that will be the envy of any ultralight backpacker (it's available from Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT)"

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...fisherman.html

"I bought some stuff called HYDROPHOBE last year in MT -Blue Ribbon Flies I think. It comes in a tiny yellow tube - about two inches long. It's a grease type floatant. My buddies swear it's far superior than any other type of grease floatant. It's a much thicker gel. It does work well for me. "

http://www.utahonthefly.com/forums//...d.php?p=189449
    I just contacted Blue Ribbon Flies about the availability of Hydrophobe. They can no longer obtain this product, and are recommending Dry Magic as an alternative.

Hydrophobe is no longer packaged this way:

It is now a spray:

http://www.roumaillac.com/peche/inde...oducts_id=1342

I still have some tubes left and it certainly works...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
    The "BEST" floatant ever, hands down;
    http://www.drlogik.com/flyfloatants.html
    I've used this and it does work... , however it doesn't mean it's a good choice...it's extremely flammable. I think something like it has been marketed under the trade-name, Troutsmen Dry Fly Dressing. (instead of Gasoline I think it uses Naptha) No ingredients are listed however so I can't be sure, unless I put a match to it...just that it behaves the same when spilled accidentally on water and it looks the same when its been sitting a while. It also works great in a pinch if you need a fire starter. It can also help put one in flames if one isn't careful. (smoking while applying, static spark, leaking container...WHOOSH! etc) Also if you read Bergman's formula, it was written before anyone knew what certain chemicals did to the human body or the environment. He also suggested that "Carbon tetrachloride or Benzine (= Naptha, Coleman Fuel, white gas...which is what I think Troutsman is made from) may be used to replace gasoline." Carbon Tetrachloride is highly toxic to humans. That includes vapors.

Gink = Albolene

I use Frogs Fanny (Hydrophobic Fumed Silica that I purchase in 1/4 lb lots) especially when trying to re float CDC slimed flies. Yes it needs to be applied more often than some floatants but it does something better than other floatants. I especially like it for nymphs and emerger patterns. It puts an air bubble around the fly making it look like an emerging insect. It's rather cool for that and it's been the ticket when all else seems to have failed.

I recently picked up some Tiemco's Dry Magic at Gates AuSable the last time I was there. I haven't given it a fair test yet. I'll let you know next season.

This stuff won't be available commercially until sometime next year but here is a cool video about Never Wet SuperHydrophobic Spray http://wimp.com/superhydrophobiccoating/

and http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...proof-gadgets/

I think that will be the end of floatant discussions in the future.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 12-06-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Flyfisher7, Frog's Fanny is NOT the only choice for CDC. Troutsmen works great for slimed CDC. However as Mato Kuwapi (hi Deb) says it is very volitile. You used to be able to have it shipped into Canada thru the States but not anymore. The list of ingredients puts it on the prohibited list for shipping accross the border. You can however manufacture and sell it in Canada if you can get the recipe. It works great. Not saying that caution shouldn't be execised but the amount of benzine you will be exposed to from this would not likely equal the amount you would inhale each time you fill your vehicle with gas. Just keep it in a safe place from kids.
    Last edited by Tig; 12-06-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Since Troutsman is apparently toxic, (benzine, etc), I would amend my statement by stating that Frog's Fanny, or other hydrophobic fumed silica, is the only practical and readily obtainable floatant suitable for use on CDC and Hare's Foot. Why any of you would want to add potentially toxic substances to the water is beyond me. I used the old naptha/ paraffin compound Weber used to sell in the "hourglass" bottles many years ago, and I remember two things about it. First, it didn't work all that well, and second, no mater how long I false casted, there would still be an oily film on the water around the fly.

+ Reply to Thread