+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Glasses

Default Fishing Glasses

Hi guys, I am looking for your opinions on photochromatic polarised glasses for fishing, in particular for spotting fish on still waters, any advice is much appreciated.

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

Polarised glasses are a must have on any water. But the amber ones are better in most light for cutting down the glare and spotting fish, they provide better contrasr than grey lenses.
    All the best.
    Mike

Poloarized glasses really help in spotting fish.

I've seen a number of threads about the best colors. My impression from them is that most people prefer a shade of amber. I do like Jom says, though, and use gray on really sunny days and amber on cloudy days r low light conditions.

The question I guess I am trying to get across is, are the photochromatic lenses worth the extra cost?

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

I use Action Optics glasses with photochromatic copper lenses and much prefer them over static lenses. Have used them from small streams to saltwater flats. I find them most effective on partly cloudy days, or when working areas where I frequently move from shade to sun.

Did prefer the static brown lense from bright clear days on the flats.

POJ,

I heard on one of the fishing shows...warmwater...sort of a plug for this brand of polarized glasses [I think they are Ono's]...anyway they are put together by this fisherman optometrist who supposedly did research and concluded green was the best for looking into the water...so maybe you're in good shape.

Sorry, just realized you were talking about the kinds of lenses that lighten or darken based onthe amount of light.

Just my opinion ... I have photos trasitionals... second generation .... they suck .Low light early morning and evening the photos react to the ultrablue even if its too dark for sunglasses.As an avid hunter this really sucks when bowhunting and such . Cold weather slows the change rate and as the lenses get older the slower they change .I personaly would never get transitional lenses again . I had an old pair of sunglasses aviater style and paid the 60 bucks for brown polarized perscription lenses installed.After the first time I used brown over gray lenses I havent looked back... and its been 20 years now .

------------------
    The more time I spend around people the more I like my dog.

Mike

Polarised glasses, are not just great for spotting fish on a stream, they are also great for spotting blue-grey Honda's on dark cloudy days, when drive to the stream. The color I use for driving is Yellow, they also are great for night driving, so you do not get blinded by bright on-comming traffic headlights. On rainy nights, you can actually still see the markings on the road pavement. ~Parnelli

PS: Always wear glasses when fly fishing, so you do not hook yourself in the eye.

Blog Entries

I use polarized safety glasses from Lowes. They are $15/pair and come in several colors. With charcoal, amber, & clear, I feel that I am prepared for a variety of visual conditions and that my eyes are protected from wayward flies. Eye protection is my first concern.

+ Reply to Thread