+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new rod

SlangByT Guest

Default new rod

hi guys, i am looking to buy a rod and reel setup that can be used for salt water and tiger fish mainly, but also barbel (catfish) and large bass...

i dont know what rod weight/length/action to get, and what reel to match it. i want something hardy that is not going to bust on me.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    Memories are better than dreams...

I hesitate to give a suggested rod weight as there is a broad range of fish you are looking to connect with. An 8 wt. is often a little light for the salt and a little heavy for fresh water, but if I were to own only one rod to do both I'd consider a 7 or 8.

As for brand, I like Elkhorns (a sponser here and at [url=http://www.elkhornflyrods.com:c55c6]www.elkhornflyrods.com[/url:c55c6] ) because they have an action that works for me and a price that does too.

jed

What are the average weight of the fish you listed ? What size flies will you use ? Will you fish in a lot of wind?

SlangByT Guest

hey... i think that the fish will be in the 10+ kg range (i hope!), but will like to be able to use the rod for smaller fish too.

wind is definately a factor, as is heavily structured dams with dead trees.

i want to be able to throw big poppers and heavy flies.

i was thinking of maybe getting a 10wt...

i want to be able to use the rod for bass as well though, as that is what i do most often... the dams are also windy and highly structured, with a lot of weed.

what do you guys think?

------------------
    Memories are better than dreams...

My "collection" of fly rods, the result of years of being obsessed with this sport, run from 4wt to 9wt (with all points in-between filled); the 4wt being my little creek rod and the 9wt used for salt water. Tried other rods, too, but my present arsenal of fly rods fit me and the purpose for what I have them for. The 9wt "salt water" rod is just perfect for me and the red drum I love to catch with it. However, my big boy fresh water fly rod is an 8wt ... it just fits the application for what I'm doing. I've also messed with different length rods, too; and the 9' is my choice for the 8 & 9 wt rods.

Dale

i think you are right looks like a ten weight probably 9'long

[This message has been edited by okflyfisher (edited 06 April 2006).]

I would say a 9' 8-9 weight rod, in a fast to medium fast action. The faster rods will help turn over larger, wind resistant flies and will work better under windy conditions. A 10 wt. is a bit big for bass. If you use a saltwater rod (Sages Xi2, Winston's XTR, etc., ) that should give you plenty of muscle for the fish your targeting.
    As for reels, I would get a large arbor reel, with a smooth drag. There's a lot of those to choose from.

It wasn't all that long ago that 6 and 7 weights were considered the standard trout rod. Now you have people recommending them for saltwater? What changed?

A lot has changed. More powerful, lighter weight rods, made from different composites, capable of tackling larger fish. Lines for every situation under the sun. The 6-7wts. were once the standard trout rods, but now they've been replaced by 4-5wt. rods.

If you fish in the wind, you'll be happy you got the 10wt

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

SlangByT Guest

i'm going into town today and i'll have a look at what is available and what i can afford, then i'll let you guys know, thanks for the input...

+ Reply to Thread