+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Vise advice please

Byron, you are an admitted viseaholic but you do have some beautiful tools. I would probably be just as happy using vise-grips (I own several pair) if I could rig a rotary feature. This thread resulted in me looking at several vises I had never reviewed before. I think the really good buy in the group is probably the Anvil Apex for $100. Anvil is a scissor manufacturer, so they know tool steel and a stainless steel rotary vise advertised as good for hooks from a 7/0 to a 32 and a lifetime warranty. However the Nor-Vise is another power tool and a man cannot have too many.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    Nor Vise it is. Christmas present! Everyone is going to the site to buy optional stuff too . Wish me luck learning how to use it!
    Good choice, I am glad I purchased mine last year around this time. You will really like the things you can do on the Norvise.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Blog Entries

These are the jaws of the Renzetti Presentation 3000 jaws. Quality equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I was taught to tie without a vise at all... Lots of things are possible...

Blind fold Tying?! Kelly Galloup is awesome at this...LOL

Just a FYI...
    If anyone is interested there is a Griffin Montana Mongoose on ebay for a "sale" price of $188....not a bad price and you can also make him "an offer"....also free shipping.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Blind fold Tying?! Kelly Galloup is awesome at this...LOL
    Blind wooly bugger competitions can be very funny... Like when a tyer's stuff gets all stirred up right after the blinders go on...

Hi ducksterman;

I found this review: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...tary-vise.html

I know a few others that purchased one but they are not FAOL members.

Wayneb

I tie on a Regal Medallion (it's the non-rotary) vise with the stainless steel jaws. I tie 1,000+ flies a year on it, ranging in sizes from #4 on the large end down to #26 on the small side. It handles all of those hook sizes quite well and without any adjustments needed. I tied on a Dyna-King Barracuda for years as well, but the angle of most rotary vises forces my hand into a painful position (I've got some nerve damage in my left hand). Truthfully, I've never really missed the rotary function but I know there are many others who love it and couldn't do without it - it's just a personal opinion. The Regal is a beautifully machined vise. With the stainless jaws I've never "shot a hook" (I have shot quite a few with the non-stainless jaws). With the Regal you are still able to rotate the fly to see it from other angles but it isn't "true" (inline) rotary. The angle of the vise head is adjustable, which I find to be a really nice feature as I'm able to position to angle to offer my left hand the ability to tie without any pain. I love the Regal and couldn't recommend it highly enough. If you have the opportunity though, I would strongly recommend that you try one at a local shop before buying. What works well for me might not work for you at all. For that matter, if you can, I would recommend trying out as many vises as possible even if all you discover is which ones you don't like. Good luck in your search.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Really you should try a few before deciding... Find one that will fit your way of tying as well as what you feel comfortable with... The most important is a vise should hold a hook and do it well without damaging the hook... Second for me the shank of the hook should line up with the exact center of rotation if its a true rotary and the vise should be well built...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

+ Reply to Thread