+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prognosticators wanted!!

Default Prognosticators wanted!!

Anyone care to hazard a guess about when the best time to travel/fish the west outside CA ( I live in CA) will be this next summer? We will be taking at least 2 and maybe 3 weeksWe will be going to ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, and maybe SD (even though I know there's no fishies there, especially no trouts) We will also hit at least NE, NV, and AZ, but prolly won't fish them.What's your trick knee, crystal ball, tea leaves, goat intestines, direct line to God, or whatever say about the weather next year ( he says while it is pouring here in Woodland, CA)?I just gotta live in my future for a while.MAO
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

This year in Colorado, the flows in most places didn't really settle down until around the first of August. Most years, rivers are in pretty good shape after July 4. It looks like it is shaping up to be another good year for mountain snow, so I would not plan a trip until after mid-July. You might think about coming earlier, before runoff. Fishing is generally pretty good in mid-May, but you won't get the same dry fly action that you get later in the year.

Ted

I thought you were asking for Procrastinators!

You named 3 states I have not yet had an opportunity to visit (MT, WY, SD) but the others I like to visit anytime after the snow melts. AZ I loved in the summer because when its 110 in Phoenix its around 70 in the eastern mountains where large trout live in reservation and US Forestry lakes, I understand there are fish in the Colorado River at a place called Greer's Ferry, but have never got to try that either.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 11-18-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

After the 4th of July holiday. In Utah, you want to also avoid the pioneer Day holiday on July 24th. So I would say between the 4th and the 24th of July.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

I would always recommend hitting the Idaho fish-in in late September.

All of the West is prettier in the fall than any other time, and you don't need to worry about when the runoff is over. You could catch an early snow, but it will melt and not bother you much. Hoppers will be out and about if you want to fish dries, and a little cold and wet will bring out the BWO's. Late September is your best bet, in my humble opinion.

I second DG's prognostication. Man, if you miss spell that word it could be nasty.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default 2011 saw a strong La Nina ...

... and run off wasn't really over in Northern Idaho and Western Montana until almost August. I think it might have run even later in SW Montana, and South Eastern and Central Idaho had even more snow and longer run off than we did up here.

2012 will see a milder La Nina, but still a La Nina. Right now, I'm thinking run off will end a bit earlier next summer than it did this past summer. If you want to avoid run off, plan for after the first of August for the Intermountain West to include Idaho and Western / SW Montana.

On the other hand, if you are willing to work at it, you can fish during the run off, and in some places even dry fly fishing will be great then. DUB reported some great fishing during run off in Western Colorado. I put up a thread on the great fishing I had in Northern Idaho last year during run off, starting in late May just before it peaked through late July when things finally began to settle down.

John

P.S. It seems like just about everything was at least two to three weeks late this year and may well be that late again next summer - so if you are thinking about matching the hatches, take that into account.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Oh Montana, what a great state. Pre-Runoff, like in late April or very early May is spectacular.

During runoff, the Missouri would be your best bet, below Holter Dam (Craig, MT) down to Cascade. There are a few areas where wading is ok but that is pre or post run off. Even with the dam controlling this river it does get a lot of water during run off but from a drift boat you can fish downstream of the various islands and such and pick up some very good fish.

Post Runoff-- Normally in early July but as indicated in 2011 it was into August when the rivers finally dropped enough. Keep an eye on the snowfall levels to see what next year is going to do.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Blog Entries

Washington ski areas are opening up this weekend, a great year starts at thanksgiving and this year is a week before that. going to be a great snow pack. I have to agree with DG september for the Idaho fishin, school is back in session, the campgrounds and hotels are less crowded and the water should be down. oh and its the nicest time on the oregon washington coast.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread