+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass Pro's Heat Flyrod

Default Bass Pro's Heat Flyrod

Does anyone have any thoughts on Bass Pro's Heat rods? I just looked at them in a store and kind of liked their feel. They are heavier weight rods and I was looking at the 8 weight for bass bug fishing. They are all 7 foot 10 inch four piece rods and sell fo $99.99. Their web site has five reviews and all are "good".

Dave

Don't have any experience with the BPS rod; what's their warrantee like? I had considered buying a Redington Predator 7'10" 8wt for backcountry snook; TFO and Ross make similar sticks for about the same price (around $199). If I were you, I'd cast the Heat against those and make your decision.

These short rods are getting a lot of use for false albacore, too, which makes sense; when albies dive under the boat and go deep, a shorter rod provides better leverage to winch them up. We were always thinking of ways to turn solid fiberglass boat rods into short flyrods for that purpose but never got past the talking phase.

Regards,
    Scott

Sierra Trading post has the Predator for $139. I've had one for 2 years. Very nice rod. Only thing I don't like about it is there is no hook loop but there is a slot on the butt end of the rod to slip the hooks in. I prefer the loop. You can also find a discount coupon online for Sierra.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 11-17-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts on Bass Pro's Heat rods? I just looked at them in a store and kind of liked their feel. They are heavier weight rods and I was looking at the 8 weight for bass bug fishing. They are all 7 foot 10 inch four piece rods and sell fo $99.99. Their web site has five reviews and all are "good".

Dave
    Dave, if you like the rod and it has gotten good reviews, then I would say go for it! I have not fished or even cast any of Bass Pro or Cabelas for that matter, fly rods. But with today's technology, I don't think you can buy a bad fly rod for $100. It may not have the quality of components or craftmanship more expensive rods might have but as far as casting it should do just fine. And being a shorter rod it is most likely designed for shorter casts and bigger flys so being able to bang out a cast a long ways does not come into play.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

5. Default

Hi Dave

I agree with the other Dave also. However I would NEVER buy a rod without casting it. Also, use a line that you like. I have fish a Sage Smallmouth many many times. That rod uses a 290 grain line. I tried the rod with 8 & 9 Wt lines, and never liked it, but with the speciality line, it sings. Sage has done really well with th shorter 7'10" rods. Its not supprising that other companies are trying to break into the maket that Sage has recently found. The reviews online all said that the rods were very fast. One might find that overlineing or using a very aggressive taper on your line makes a difference. Good luck and tell us how it goes.

~Wes

The 7' 10" lengths is due to the restriction on major Bass tournaments that limits the length of the rod to less than 8'

+ Reply to Thread