+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In need of a new vice.

Default In need of a new vise.

My old vise has been in use for about 10 years now. The both sets of jaws are pretty warn out. I can still tie larger hooks but the smaller stuff just doesn't hold any more. I think I paid around 30-40 for it. Not sure on the brand but it says Master on the clamp. Very similar to this one. I think at this point I have gotten my money out of it.

I am currently eying this one for a replacement. What are your thoughts on this vice? Quite a few people from a local forum recommend it.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Wingsdlc; 11-19-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Borrow one from one of your locals and try it out for a couple days to see how you like it. I have tied on a lot of vises covered with bells and whistles, and still prefer my old Thompson, ten years old and counting, which replaced an identical Thomspon, twenty plus years and the cam wore out (and it was cheaper to buy a new vise than a cam), which replaced a nearly identical Herter's...

And replacement jaws can normally be had for a lot less than a new vise.

Google is a wonderful tool. Here is a review http://wvangler.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5025987 which sums up the problems often found with cheaper vises made elsewhere than USA or Europe. I bet the Terra is made in India (or similar).
    In my experience the quality of steel in the jaws and quality control in general is just not adequate in the knock-offs. The jaws on your current vise are possibly worn out because it is a knock-off.
    Check out the thread currently running on this BB,
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?43996-Vise-advice-please , for a number of excellent reviews and suggestions.
    I have two Griffins and a Danvise (mostly using the Danvise). If you don't wish/need rotary you can get a Griffin for $50-$60 that will last the rest of your life and their service is excellent. Just spend enough that you don't have to compromise as in the Terra review. Good luck.
    Last edited by Greg H; 11-12-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Blog Entries

You really do get what you pay for I'm afraid. What you paid for your vise is what a good set of jaws sells for today. I recommend 2 vises to tyers, both with very different price ranges. The Peak Rotary Vise with base sells around $150, made in USA with a Lifetime guarantee. I was given one of these vises from the manufacturer to test, and I was shocked at how nice this vise was. It did everything my tyers could possiby want a Rotary Vise to do.

Then the vise that I have used all my life is the HMH Standard Pedestal Vise, for around $250. Cannot say enough nice things about this vise, especially if you tie streamers and big flies. It also offers 3 different jaws from Micro to Magnum.

Either of these vises will last you a lifetime with no upgrades needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    Google is a wonderful tool. Here is a review http://wvangler.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=5025987 which sums up the problems often found with cheaper vises made elsewhere than USA or Europe. I bet the Terra is made in India (or similar).
    I have used a Terra vise like the one in the review for several years and am pretty happy with it. I don't tie a lot of flies and I don't tie anything smaller than a 20, could see the eye if I did. It has been very serviceable vise, I did replace the plastic sleeve on the shaft and installed a nylon bushing in its place, I have recently added a crank type handle on it. For around $50 or a little less it's hard to beat.

I would like to have access to a machine shop and build my own from scratch.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks for everyone's insight. I will continue doing some research before picking up a new vice. I understand the "Get what you pay for". Right now I am really not in a spot to spend big bucks on a vice. Have been teaching for 5 years and still on year two pay. Also have a 6 week old now.

I should have also mentioned what I tie. Currently I have been tying a lot of nymphs in the 12-18 range. I also enjoy tying bigger streamers for bass up to size 2/0.

Thanks again!

I can think of many many less impressive things to spend 40 bucks on.

Since you mention price as a major factor I would consider the Danvise as mentioned. For $80 range [it appears sometime for less] it gives many desirable features...

True rotary
    Cam closure
    Very adjustable
    Handle extension for easy rotating
    Bobbin cradle
    Good service from BT

Thanks again everyone.

One of my local fly fishing friends has the Terra I am looking at. I will be borrowing it sometime this week to see if I like it. Will go from there. If I don't like it I think will end up with a Griffins.

look at the anvils, made in usa and rugged as they get...
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

+ Reply to Thread