+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night Fishing for Browns

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    Dave,You would have to contact RIO direct. They only make limited runs of it and it is not a regular catalog item to my knowledge. It is also made for salt (night fishing for snook off a dock can be productive) and that will work fine for hot summer nights in fresh water. They usually have it at the spring flyfishing show in Warren, MI at their booth. BTW I was born in Council Bluffs and went to school in Ames. I have driven through Ankeny many times in the 60"s.Bob
    I lived in Anes for 4+ years while attending ISU. There's still some excellent smallmouth bass fishing in the Skunk River around Ames, and now the DNR (seasonally) stocks Ada Hayden Lake (the old gravel pits just north of Ames) with trout, and they also stock walleyes and wipers in there.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Dave,

At the risk of hijacking the thread - oh wait a minute - it's my thread - did you ever fish the Ledges in Boone. I attended ISU in the mid 60's and we went over to the Ledges a lot chasing things other than trout. Just wondered if there was any fishing going on over there. We used to hunt the gravel pits north of Ames for pheasant. You could hunt them with a rock in those days, there were so many. And you could hunt fence rows without even asking. It was just the way it was done. Nobody cared. I was a Kappa sig when I was there. I was co-oping with Ford so I was on a swing schedule and couldn't hold a dorm contract, so I pledged. Good old days.

Bob

Fishing on those dark nights in Michigan is an awesome experience. Stumbling around in the dark getting bugs up your nose all while casting blindly and setting the hook to the sound of any rise in front of you is good stuff.

Blog Entries

Gutbomb,
    Sitting in an AuSable river boat and casting towards the slurps at 1 AM ain't bad, either.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinmich View Post
    Dave,

At the risk of hijacking the thread - oh wait a minute - it's my thread - did you ever fish the Ledges in Boone. I attended ISU in the mid 60's and we went over to the Ledges a lot chasing things other than trout. Just wondered if there was any fishing going on over there. We used to hunt the gravel pits north of Ames for pheasant. You could hunt them with a rock in those days, there were so many. And you could hunt fence rows without even asking. It was just the way it was done. Nobody cared. I was a Kappa sig when I was there. I was co-oping with Ford so I was on a swing schedule and couldn't hold a dorm contract, so I pledged. Good old days.

Bob
    I've waded the small stream in the Ledges many times. We used to go there when I was a kid, and I've taken my own kids there a number of times. In the stream, there are various minnows, creek chubs, crayfish, green sunfish and assorted aquatic bugs. The fish are pretty small. When I was at ISU, a small mixed group of us took several canoes down the Des Moines River from the lower dam at Boone to the Ledges, we fished here and there along the way. I don't remember now everything we caught, but I do recall we caught channel cats, flatheads, and freshwater drum. I know there are walleyes and white bass in that stretch, and there should be smallmouth bass as well.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

the few times i have night fished I have always been the net man.
    The wading in the water in darkness always reminds me of the time I hyper extended
    my knee backwards.

Low light yes...

No light NO THANKS.
    When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

+ Reply to Thread