+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: questions on trout and flyfishing in general

Default questions on trout and flyfishing in general

I'm not a seasoned trout fisherman by any means. Most of my experience with a fly rod for trout comes out of Kansas with a spattering of Colorado trips. I mostly fish our local stream for stocked fish with a nymph and a small indicator. I catch most of my fish within 20 feet. Sometimes there is a very aggressive strike, and sometimes it is extremely subtle and hard to detect even up close. If I get out past 25' or so, I know I'd miss about half of the takes. Do you find yourselves fishing closer when nymphing for that reason? Or is there some technique that I'm missing to help out here? It seems to me that I can easily outcast my effective fishing range with about any rod I own.I can fish farther with dries and terrestrial because you can see what's going on there, but I'm finding for my nymphing, I really am getting to prefer a shorter rod in a lighter weight that can present the fly more accurately and softly up close. In fact, my largest trout ever came a couple of weeks ago from about 15' out on a 6'6" 2 weight and a number 14 PTN under an indicator. Now for warm water and other fishing, it usually is different and I will go with a longer rod. I think I'm starting to justify why I need different length rods in the same weight. Am I off base with my conclusions here, or am I missing something?

I like a longer rod for nymphing for two reasons.
    With the longer rod mending is so much easier.
    With a smooth mend, you are less likely to jerk the fly in an unnatural manner.
    Also I don't normally use an indicator, prefering to "high stick". The long rod helps to keep more of the line off the water for less drag.
    I think it is important to nymph fish with as short a line as you can get away with.
    When high sticking it is best if only the leader is touching the water. With a indicator you can get away with a little more.
    Still closer is better.

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

"...snip...I think I'm starting to justify why I need different length rods in the same weight...snip..."

Aaah! This is the key sentence! I can see it won't be too long before there'll be a corner of a closet filled with rod tubes leaning against the wall. Strategies will be hatched in the cold of night as to how to sneak a new one in under the wife's radar. It's begun!

Bob

LOL! Well, I'm kind of doing the justification after the fact. I'm building my own, so I'm already halfway down the slippery slope of too many rods. I have my favorite 3 rods, but could use a long 2 weight and 4 weight to be more versitile and a "better fisherman".

Just a few days ago I snuck a new 4wt by mine. Luckily she seems oblivious to new fishing equipment once it's out of the packaging...the trick is not having her home when the U.P.S. man shows up.

------------------
    Regards
    nam
    nam

In the early '80's I snuck a Fin Nor #3 into the house. While it was pretty easy to do, I didn't feel too good about it. I vowed never to do that again. We're now divorced.

Bob

My wife is great about me getting new stuff, "as long as it is something you really need".

Well, I the exception to the rule in my house. I have 15 rods and my hubby, probably just as many. And we aren't done yet. I am looking at the GLX and my ol man is building the glass.
    As far as fishing nymphs, personally, I start off close then work my way to the other side so as not to spook any fish. I will use an indicator on pools, but I tye furled leaders with bright colors in the first section followed by Cahill for the rest and I use the bright colors for my indicator. However, when using my boo or superfines, I feel the fish.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Who are you guys trying to kid?

"I need it all", LOL!!! That's why I ended up with such a large collection.

I sell off a few things here and there, then I go looking through some boxes, rummaging through a closet or digging through the safe for an item someone's asking for, and I find stuff I forgot I even had!

This fly fishing stuff is like rabbit's, leave it alone for awhile and when you come back it's multiplied. Hahahahahahaha!!!

"Try that one on the wife", although she just might agree with you when you discover the Brand New $300 purse and the $200 matching shoes hiding in that dark corner of the closet, right next to your new rod! Hmmmmmmm... ROTFLMAO!!!!!
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

ol' blue,

You hit on a key thing when you said "I can easily outcast my effective fishing range". There are a lot of people that get hung up on casting distance and ways to increase it. I just don't get it. Most people that are beyond the beginner stage can cast further than they need to. You have no control over your fly when you are at too great a distance.

+ Reply to Thread