+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry Flies... :)

Question Dry Flies... :)

I'm a dry Fly kind of guy. I'v had the debate in my head for along time if wings count or not. So I'm just gonna tye up some without wings and see. color and def. size of fly seem to matter alot. I would like you guys input on wings or not. I know its an old topic, beat to death over the years, but I would like to here the latest of you guys thoughts on it... Does it or dont it matter about the wings?
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

i plan to start tyin' in more wings- not so much because i think they will work better- but more that i have not done it in the past and just want to tie some up w/ wings...

i dont expect them to fish much different- less maybe small situational windows with certain lighting etc... do report on your findings!

I tie far more without wings these days, than I did years ago. I also V-notch the bottom of many more patterns now. Go with what catches fish.

I usually use some sort of wing, more to allow me to spot the fly than fool the fish. Look at Harry Murray's Mr. Rapidan - yellow calf tail wings on a fly he originally tied for the Quill Gordon hatch; I've never seen a quill gordon with anything but grey wings but that fly works anyway. If I can't see them, I can't fish them as effectively. The Viz-a-duns I tie for the epeorus hatch on the Madison have wings of light grey Congo hair which is a close proximation to the natural and still pretty visible to me, or black for those flat-light situations at dusk when the water goes silver and it's hard for me to see much of anything. Fish don't seem to care one way or another.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

It seems the silhouette makes a difference, more than the color, IMO&E. I like tying wings simply because it really is easy in the grand scheme of things and looks better. The fact they help you see the fly on the water should seal the deal.

Last year I taught an older tyer how to tie wings... He was amazed that something he had strenuously avoided for years was that simple. To his defense we do not fish that many dries here, aside from grayling fishing...

AlanB Guest

I have known fish to take winged flies in preference to similar unwinged patterns. The sun was strong but low in the sky. I would theorise that the wings of the natural cast a shadow onto the water which was at that time a significant trigger factor to the fish. Of course this is really no better than a guess and has only happened to me once. However, sometimes wings can make a difference.

Cheers,
    C.

Grubb,

You ask, "Does it or dont it matter about the wings? " Allow this question - To we tyers or to the fish?

Personally, I think that wings on dry flies add some overall realism, wings of flank(especially wood duck) make the fly buggy with an illusion of movement, add an effect of daintiness, and just give the fly an overall look of elegance. Also makes the fly a little easier for us to see. Does it matter from the fishes point of view and are fish more attracted to flies with v without wings? I think that depends on who you've read or who you ask. Marinaro was in the 'definitely matters' camp as were most Catskill fly tyers. There are others who think not. There are also tyers who just don't like tying wings so they justify their displeasure by saying, 'the wings aren't needed'. However, and this is based on my personal observation nothing scientific, I think that spent wings on mayfly 'spinners' are important because of the wing position on the water. Maybe not so with 'duns'(?). Like I said, I prefer wings but I've nothing to base the overall importance insofar as actual fishing.

This probably hasn't answered your question but I think you knew that it could not be answered and thatit's a personal thing.

What do you think?

Allan

Have seen the same thing as AlanB. Definitely are times when winged patterns are more effective. Easier to just tie them in and not worry about it in my mind.

I wonder how much realism really plays in the equation when, no matter how lifelike the fly looks, there's a piece of curved iron with a sharp point sticking out of it's butt in plain view of the fish.

Regards,
    Scott

It pretty much comes down to the answer to the question is the investment in time and effort going to result in me catching more fish or maybe being able to see the fly while I am fishing it. The other thing would be a fly for display, for fishing I use what I call a "Almost an Adams" it doesn't have wings or brown hackle, the fish don't seem to mind or at least I don't think they do. If I were tying an Adams for display or teaching someone, I would want it to have all of the ingredients listed in the traditional recipe.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread