+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Durable Fly Line Dressing?

Default Durable Fly Line Dressing?

Hi,

Thus far, I had tried those from Scientific Anglers, Mucilin (both red and green label) and even commercial Silicone and Teflon sprey, but none of these last more than 45minutes of continuous casting. Can anyone recommend any other line dressing agent that will at least stay durable for at least a day's worth of fishing?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Actually you may get some replies, but the truth is they wash off in water, some sooner than others. If you are serious about this you can get a pad which has line-cleaner/dressing in it, keep it in your line hand and as you retrieve line run it through the pad cleaning and dressing it as you fish. I have seen this done, especially fishing still water which had some crud floating on the water. It did allow for longer casts if that is important in your fishery.

I agree with LadyFisher. I've always used Glide and it seems to work as well, or better, than many.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

I mostly use Loon Line Speed. I clean my lines every morning and give them a good stretch then apply the line speed dressing. Sometimes halfway through the day, like at lunch, I will wipe the first 20 feet of my line down and apply another coating of line speed. No matter what you use, it's the water and what is in it that determines how long your line conditioner is going to work. Sometimes the water is very dirty and it coats and dries on your line as you strip the line in and cast again. Those layers of film from the dirty water simply cover up your treated line. They cause more drag when casting and cause your line to sink sooner. There is no stopping it, you just have to work around it.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Is Zipcast still available?

Maybe a couple of thin coatings of Biostrike strategically located kind of like applying putty weight...?
    The sport is so royal that there is neither gentle nor villein, if it knew of it and loved it well, who would not be more honoured for that reason by all who understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Is Zipcast still available?
    No, not at this time, unless someone has a large stock. The manufacturer sold the recipe. Jerry Brumfield was talking to him about it, but the price just got too high. While it is not available at this time, I feel it will resurface, hopefully marketed to identify it as the old ZipCast. It was truly great stuff. I know this as I was helping Jerry with sales & occasionally with shows.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber View Post
    No, not at this time, unless someone has a large stock. The manufacturer sold the recipe. Jerry Brumfield was talking to him about it, but the price just got too high. While it is not available at this time, I feel it will resurface, hopefully marketed to identify it as the old ZipCast. It was truly great stuff. I know this as I was helping Jerry with sales & occasionally with shows.
    Mike
    FYI

I see zipcast(dot)net still exist. You may want to think twice before ordering online through that website given what Mike said above.

I still have a 1/2 bottle left of the stuff and apply it daily (if not more as the line warrants) while fishing using the Glide applicator tool. I believe Jerry applies it the same way.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    FYI

I see zipcast(dot)net still exist. You may want to think twice before ordering online through that website given what Mike said above.

I still have a 1/2 bottle left of the stuff and apply it daily (if not more as the line warrants) while fishing using the Glide applicator tool. I believe Jerry applies it the same way.
    I looked at the zipcast.net & it fails to identify the sales origin, so I would not recommend using that site. I just left a message for Jerry & will advise as to whether or not that site is safe to use.
    BTW, I apply mine with 2X2 cotton gun cleaning patches. I used to include a bunch of those when I sold it.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread