+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black poly leader?

Default Black poly leader?

I was just given a 10' black poly leader as a bonus on a purchase from a UK company. It is totally black except for a short clear section near the front loop. Does anybody have an idea of when and why a black colored leader would be used? Thanks!

I think it is an Airflow product. They sell polyleader and the sink rate is indicated by the color. Black I believe is super fast sink. I don't use that particular one but have other similar leaders that sink a little slower. I would use them when I want to fish a streamer on the deep side and get the streamer down fast. As in some steelhead fishing or salmon fishing.

I tie a perfection loop in the clear portion of the leader and add a short tippet --- my theory is that if I want to fish deep then I want a pretty short tippet so the fly doesn't stay higher in the water column -- I want it near the bottom where the polyleader should be. A floating line is a different matter and slower sinking leaders might have a longer tippet.

Hope this helps. You might want to google "polyleader".

Thanks, Orthoman. My earlier Google searches on this subject tended to get me to biographies of African heads of state.

Looks like this is a leader meant for fishing on the bottom. I'm guessing probably on still water or really big streams. I guess I could use it for streamers during Spring runoff on the Colorado River.

The black Poly leaders are sinking lines. They come in handy when swinging streamers.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

You'd think the dark color would spook the heck out of fish, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with any of them I've used.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Sinking poly leaders are extremely useful for warm water fishing as well as trout fishing. I use them a lot for smallmouth bass river fishing where keeping a fly on the bottom is important. With a fast sinking poly leader, a lightly weighted lead eye fly (like a Clouser), and a five foot fluorocarbon tippit, I can wear the paint off of the lead eyes banging the fly on the rocks on the river bottom.

+ Reply to Thread