+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking of selling this bamboo but.....

Default Thinking of selling this bamboo but.....

....I have no idea what to ask for it. The rod was made by Andrew Manchester. It is a purpose built short rod from it's own blank not a two piece banty from the mid and tip of another rod. Nickle/silver ferrules, quality guides, hook keeper and gold plated down locking sliding reel seat. Wraps are a beautiful lavender and the reel seat is cork hand made from cork. This is a nice casting 5wt that is perfect for the brush chocked or smaller creeks where casting is a challenge due to overhead cover. However I have found this rod to be right at home along the close banks of still waters as well.

I am the only owner, other than Andy. It has been gently treated but fished to be sure. Rod has a crisp medium to medium-fast action. I have caught rainbows in the 15-20 inch range and large mouth bass from 15-22 inches on this thing with no problems. It is a deceptively strong rod especially given it's size. You can cast this thing all day long without fatigue. Even with my poor casting skills casts of 50+ feet are easy to reach. Here are some pictures:

I am selling the rod for several reasons. I am no longer able to fly fish as I liked doing due to my bad back. Help is on the way for that but it si going to cost me a bit of money so I need to raise some funds. Things are really getting tight for us with the health issues and buying heating fuel. Also, to be quite frank, I have lost most of the passion for our sport. This rod deserves to be fished not just put up in a rack. I will put it on ebay if needs be but I would rather sell it to someone here on this board. Problem for me is I know what I paid for it but I don't knwo what is a fair price to ask for it. Andrew is still making fine rods and he may be able to answer any questions on it.

What do you all think is a fair price? What would you ask for it?

On second thought I think I will just put this one on eBay.

Thanks for all the help.

There are online sites that can give you the value of a grass rod. Might be a good idea to check in with them before listing on ebay. Good luck with it!

Blog Entries

Let us know the bid # when it hits e-Bay.

folks i kind of got cut off trying to finish that post. I meant to thank everyone that looked and I figured folks didn't want to respond because they didn't feel comfortable guessing at a price. that didn't sound the way it was supposed to and I do apologize for it. hard to place a price on a custom made rod because well there is only one of them.

Tell you one thing they put me on new meds for my back and they are messing me up a bit. placed a 8gb flash memory card from my camera on the desk somewhere last night and now it is gone. aaarrgghhh!

I will post when the rod goes up for auction. I am thinking about throwing in a martin mountain brook large arbor reel:

http://www.martinfishing.com/mountain_brookLA.html

and a wf-5-f cortland line too.

+ Reply to Thread