+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MO outlaws felt-what should I do?

Default MO outlaws felt-what should I do?

1. I'm old-I use felt with studs.
    2. Diabetic-a bit unstable.
    3. What's the very best nonfelt boot--to keep me upright?

Thank you!

McManus
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

Blog Entries

I have been using the LL Bean "aquastealth" soles with studs for several years with no problems.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

I love my Korkers Chromes. Very lightweight and comfortable.
    Arkansas State Coordinator for Reel Recovery
    Board Member of Fly Fishing Federation Southern Council

I have the Korkers Chromes and really like the boots, but don't count on the rubber soles to keep you upright. They are about as good as roller skates. I have read that the new Korker Svelte soles are better than felt. These are made of something like scotchbrite scrubber pads and are supposed to provide great grip. The soles alone are $50, so I am continuing to slip around on the rubber soles until next spring...

Ted

I have the Orvis River Guards with EcoTrax soles. They work very well. They range in price from $79 (on sale now) to $179 for the ultra lights.

I also have Aquastealth with studs. Unfortunately, mine are the older Korker's Konvertibles in a size 10 & I am unable to find a spare pair or I would buy them.
    I highly recommend Aquastealth with studs, & keep in mind that LL Bean often has sales, ALWAYS free shipping, & that guarantee is ironclad. ANY mistake, theirs OR yours, is immediately corrected. Also, a call to their customer service is always helpful.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I use Simms Aquastealth and they work great. I have studs, but haven't ever felt the need to put them in. I have fished, freestone and tailwaters and never had an issue. Plus in the snow they work even better than felts!

Good luck.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

I do OK with the rubber soles on my Korkers, but I also always use a wading staff and move very cautiously when I wade.

I am sure this will sound dumb, but I have not been in the fly fishing loop other than doing some warm water fishing for a few years. Why the ban on felt, and can that be removed and replaced or am I stuck with having to buy a new boot

oh and sorry for the mini hijacking

MO, like a number of states is outlawing felt because it too easily carries a problem originating in one stream, to next one you fish. In Missouri's case it's the didymo (rock snot) from the tailwater fisheries in Arkansas that worries them. Lotsa back and forth; often in the same day.
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

+ Reply to Thread