+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 piece versus 4 piece, tip versus mid flex

Default 7 piece versus 4 piece, tip versus mid flex

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting an Orvis 7 piece travel rod, 5 wt, tip flex. I love my 5 wt mid flex, 4 piece. Why? Easier to store in the RV. So, thoughts on 7 versus 4 piece, tip versus mid flex. I will certainly, if the rod does not sell, to test cast, but that is at least 2 days away. Fire away with thoughts!!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Blog Entries

The two will cast a lot differently from each other. With the tip flex, you will likely not "feel" the rod load like you may be doing with the mid flex now. Your casting skill level will enter into the enjoyment you get from the tip flex, too. Faster tip flex rods are great for precision at distance but require a skill level that most of us do not have to be consistant with. The slower rods are more forgiving of the average angler's mistakes and are therefore more fun to fish.

As for the 7 vs. 4 pieces, the 7 pc will take longer to rig up which means less time fishing.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Mike

Why not posting your question on the Orvis face book page? Tom Rosenbauer or someone there will answer your question.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

It takes me only a few seconds more to assemble my 7-piece. The case is 18" long, versus 26" for a 4-piece. That's not a big difference, but it can be an important one in some storage and transport situations.

Facebook!! Man, I have enough trouble looking at this face in the mirror! Good idea but I have resisted it. I appreciate kbproctor' input, kind of my thoughts too.
    Keep the thoughts coming!!
    Thanks all,
    Mike

All things being equal, a 7-piece rod will be stiffer than a 4-piece rod, so I think your new fly rod will be a lot stiffer than you're used to. For nymphing and small stream fishing, I prefer a mid-flex rod.

Randy

Of course you do not say what the length of the rod is, I'm assuming for a travel rod it 's an 8 footer.

The problem with a multi piece rod is that it's a PIA to assemble and dis-assemble. I should think your present 4-piece, especially since your pleased with it, and your toting it around in an RV, would be the ideal. If you were jumping on airplanes and wanting to carry it with you, I could see where the 7 pieces might be the way to go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    All things being equal, a 7-piece rod will be stiffer than a 4-piece rod, so I think your new fly rod will be a lot stiffer than you're used to. For nymphing and small stream fishing, I prefer a mid-flex rod.

Randy
    Not necessarily. I can get mid flex 7pc blanks. The one he is looking at is stiffer being a tip flex. My 9ft 5pc 5w Matrix is a medium action which is much slower than most blanks these days.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

In a similar vein, I own a number of Orvis rods, all two-piece. The four-piece Orvis rods I have purchased in the past have all snapped right at the ferrule - the first day of fishing.

It's now been about five or six years since my last rod purchase from Orvis or anybody else. According to members on this board and others, this was a not uncommon occurence then. Has this problem been fixed?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by melk View Post
    Hi,
    Why? Easier to store in the RV. Fire away with thoughts!!
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Hi Mike,

Thinking outside the box, my only reason to own an RV, would be to spend even more time streamside.

There must be something else onboard that can go ( the badminton gear, the kids big wheel, the salad shooter, her rock / pine cone collection, that emergency collapsible water bottle, the solar powered donut / bread machine, the ping pong table, the sixty inch wide screen T.V., the toboggan, the boogie board...) , to make room for a half dozen more 2 and 4 piece fly rods.

They're even making one piece fly rods again....Maybe a nine foot long section of six inch PVC pipe with end caps, secured along the roof line.

Gearin' Up, Dave

+ Reply to Thread