+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bear attack, but bear wasn't the cause of death

Default Bear attack, but bear wasn't the cause of death

by Associated Press
    NWCN.com
    Posted on September 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM

BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) -- Authorities say a hunter attacked by a grizzly in a Montana forest was killed not by the bear, but by a gunshot fired by a companion trying to save him.

Lincoln County Sheriff Roby Bowe said Friday that 39-year-old Steve Stevenson of Winnemucca, Nev., died of a single gunshot wound to the chest. The cause of death was determined by the medical examiner with the Montana State Crime Lab.

The shot was fired by 20-year-old Ty Bell, also of Winnemucca, as he attempted to stop the bear's attack.

Bell had earlier shot and wounded what he thought was a black bear during a Sept. 16 hunting trip along the Montana-Idaho border. The two men tracked the wounded grizzly into thick cover, where it apparently turned on Stevenson.

Story posted here: http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=130476...&fDomain=10222
    Trout don't speak Latin.

That's really sad. As I recall the story, the guy who was killed had deliberately drawn the bear away from attacking his younger companion. Now the younger guy has even more reason to feel guilt for the rest of his life. Though I don't think the guilt will be justified. It was a high adrenaline situation where he did his best to save his friend.

That really is sad. That kid will have a life time of reliving that awful moment.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

ABSOLUTE proof positive that it is ABSOLUTELY UNWISE and DANGEROUS to carry firearms for protection against potential bear attack. What must I have been thinking???

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ABSOLUTE proof positive that it is ABSOLUTELY UNWISE and DANGEROUS to carry firearms for protection against potential bear attack. What must I have been thinking???

Mark
    Against a grizz, I agree. Mostly I carry a firearm for the two-legged predator but I am going to start carrying bear mace with me as well. I am convinced it will be much more effective against a large predator like a bear.

I hope this kid gets over this soon. **** happens and it was a heated moment and he used what he had to try and protect his friend...

+ Reply to Thread