+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strike indicators...yes or no?

What do you consider an indicator?

I fish small, spring creeks almost exclusively and don't use a traditional floating indicator -- foam, yarn, etc. However, I use a bright butt leader as a visual strike indicator. I tie my own nymph leaders and use the yellow Amnesia to build a 4-5' butt section and add 5-6' of regular mono taper and tippet. I add a couple of plastic tube indicators spaced on the leader butt (these are basically plastic fly line with the core removed) to provide a little more visibility.

For me, this system works in faster, shallow water, but also works, and really excels, in deeper water. I believe you get a better drift, especially in deep water, because you are not getting drag from the differential between surface and bottom currents. Strike indication is very sensitive and it casts and mends better.

With longer cast in bigger water, choppier water, and low light conditions, I don't get enough visibility and I'll add a floating indicator. But that's rarely necessary

I use a tadem rig, a generic dry fly such as a number 12 Para Adams with a nymph dropper. It works for me

Although I carry practically all of the strike indicators manufactured in my vest, I hardly use them. Even Joe Humphreys claims he doesn't use them at all when nymphing

Forgot to mention: I tried the Amnesia butt leader material (chartreuse) as an indicator. I fish very shaded streams, and I often had trouble seeing the Amnesia. Also - I could be wrong - the material seemed to sink more than mono.

Randy

I always use an indicator, the faster& choppier the water the larger the indicator. In calm water I may use a greased leader as an indicator or my line to leader connection, in med flows I'll use a dry fly and in fast riffles and broken water I'll use an add on type indicator. I'm always using sight detection when nymphing, never tight line and feel.

+ Reply to Thread