+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stream thermometer

I'm using a small, inexpensive thermometer I bought at Eastern Mountain Sports. It's made to put on your winter jacket, but it works fine in the stream.
    Randy

I'll be shopping for a simple, inexpensive one soon. I had bought a pricey, digital William Joseph thermometer. Difficult to read (especially on bright days), and an overall pain in the B, I just gave it away.
    I just needed to remind myself of one of my favorite rules......KISS!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

The little Coleman one (and probably the EMS one) look pretty good and meet my stated criteria. The only question I would have is whether the temperature gradations on the scale are too close together to permit one to differentiate between 58 and 62 degrees with precision. The picture of the Coleman one shows pretty crude temp gradations. But I will definitely look for these jacket pull models around town. Great suggestion.

After looking at the zipper pull thermometers, I concluded that the temperature gradations are too small to give me the precision that I need. But I came across another interesting device: the Umpqua Digital Thermometer. It appears that this device uses a liquid crystal display that lights up the temperature on the thermometer. Does anyone have any experience with this thermometer? It appears that Umpqua may not be making these anymore, but there are a few on-line shops that still have them in stock.

Yes, with the EMS thermometer it's difficult to get an exact reading, but to me a few degrees one way or the other isn't that important.
    When fishing season is over I just put the thermometer back on my winter jacket.
    Randy

I have a William Joseph digital thermometer and like it a lot. So much faster than a mercury therometer.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    I have a William Joseph digital thermometer and like it a lot. So much faster than a mercury therometer.
    Just me, but I don't like anything fast on a trout stream, unless it's a big trout ripping out line and, hopefully, backing!

I'm an old **** and I like trout paraphernalia as it is and was....as long as it does the job.

Tip of the hat to you young farts!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

The Coleman shows temperatures from 30 to just over 100 degrees farenheit in increments of 2. If you turn the tube slightly you will also see Celsius readings from 0 to 40 in increments of 1. Depending on the light at the stream, I sometimes put on my magnification glasses to get a clear reading.
    Last edited by Fishing Jill; 09-13-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    "I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening..."
    Norman Maclean: A River Runs Through It

Quote Originally Posted by jgrossing View Post
    Last week I broke my trusty old stream thermometer. It was a simple, small, analog (liquid in glass tube) device in a plastic protective housing. I think that I paid 99 cents for it about 10 years ago.

I wonder if anyone knows where I could find a rapid, simple, cheap ($5-10), small (< 5 inches in length so that it will fit in my pocket), rugged thermometer that is suitable for use as a stream thermometer.

Many thanks for your help.

Is this anywhere close to what your looking for ...?

http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem....76&src=froogle

+ Reply to Thread