+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check in East Coast Friends

Exclamation Check in East Coast Friends

Nearly 100,000 people from New York to Maryland were ordered to flee the rising Susquehanna River on Thursday as the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee dumped more rain across the Northeast, closing major highways and socking areas still recovering from Hurricane Irene.
    Hope Eric and our all others in these areas are fairing well through this mess,,,

Try to be as safe as you can and check in...

Steve

Hi. I live in Central, PA, and we have gotten nearly 8 inches of rain, but just minor flooding. Other areas in this Central region got hit really hard. My niece and her boyfriend were evacuated from their house in Wilkes-Barre just 3 hours ago. My buddy's daughter and husband also had to be evacuated in the same area. They are about 3 hours northeast of where I live. I feel badly for those people because I know how destructive floods can be. If you link up with TV station WNEP out of Wilkes-Barre you can watch the latest developments.
    Last edited by lastchance; 09-08-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Same with us; about 8" of rain since Sunday and more on the way, but, luckily, flooding hasn't been too bad, although that may change soon with showers/thunderstorms projected through the weekend. I guess the very hot/dry July-August we had made it easier for the ground and streams to cushion the blow. Hope everyone is safe and sound.

Regards,
    Scott

We are in danger though safe for now. Harrisburg evacuated along with many other towns and hamlets along the Susquehanna River. Mandatory curfews in place. half of our town now being evacuated. All on mandatory water restriction. Treatment plant sits on the river bank and has been shut down due to damage.

Hershey Park and Zoo damaged. Two buffalo at the zoo panicked and could not be rescued from the flood waters in their pen. The workers had to shoot them to prevent them suffering. At least 4 human deaths so far.

There is more to come as the rivers will not crest until late tomorrow night to AM Saturday! Water from the river is moving under U.S. 11&15 in front of our home. Many home with water coming in through the basements.

Here are some pics of our neighbors:

It's that close to over flowing the 5 lane route U.S. 11&15:

Environmental disaster in the making. The sewage treatment plant is on the river side of U.S. 11&15:

Many of these plants are damaged throughout the flooding areas. More damage to some wonderful fisheries.

1,200 ARNG Troops deployed. River will crest at 41 feet in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and that is north of us! That water is yet to reach us!

Pa turnpike closed from Harrisburg east to route 222. U.S. 322 closed at the Susquehanna River bridge. Interstates 81, 83, 78, 76 closed. U.S. 11&15 closed at Wormleysburg. Over 500 state road closings plus 197 local road closings!

Have to go. Fire Marshall coming down the street with a bull horn.

Blog Entries

eric please be safe hun hugs

Wish the best for all the folks going thru this hard time. Not meaning to de-rail, but when this happens, how long does it take for the trout to recover from the flooding? Again, I wish all affected the best !

Eric, that's terrible. I'm getting frightened for y'alls well being. Above all, stay safe and update as you can. My prayers are with you and everyone involved.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

Hey Gang, I wouldn't wade through urban/suburban floodwaters like that unless I was: (a) in waders, or, (b) knew that there was no sewer treatment plant, ruptured septic systems, etc... upstream. MRSA infections are bad news.

Ed

Prayers from SoCal going out to all of those affected. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread