+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacement Cleats Question

Default Replacement Cleats Question

Guys,

I need to replace the soles on at least one pair of wading boots. The last time I replaced the soles I put cleats, or to be more accurate, small bolts and nuts into the felt soles. They've held up reasonably well. But just yesterday I bought a bunch of new golf shoe cleats that are carbide steel, maybe 150 of them. I'm not a golfer and bought them thinking I can use them for the purpose I had in mind. At $0.50 for the box of 150 cleats I figured it was worth a try . They are the screw type and I guess need to be screwed into a male bolt that would be between the replacement sole and the body of the boot.

My question(s): Has anyone used these or similar cleats? How well do they hold in wading situations? How do they hold up (last)?

Thanks.

Allan

I am not a golfer but have worked with a good many golf clubs safety programs. I know most golf and country clubs no long allow the use of metal spikes because of the damage they do to floors and the slip and fall hazard inside the club house. Are they not going to be a little long for walking on stones in a stream? But they should screw into the equivalent of a T-nut in the shoe sole, they are about 1/4" I think.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Can't remember what forum I saw it on but someone recommended motorcycle ice studs :
    http://www.mfgsupply.com/ATVStuds.html

Regards,
    Scott

I don't think you'll be happy with the golf cleats.. They are actually spikes for grass and not designed for slick rocks. You would be better off using sheet metal screws if you trying to save a few bucks...otherwise you can purchase carbide studds for wading boots but they are pricey.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread