+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelly's Cajun FW flies with different duck wings

Blog Entries

Default Kelly's Cajun FW flies with different duck wings

Okay I finally have the first ones done. The FW-G has a cruddy head, so I am not posting it. The G stands for Gadwall. I am gonna have to do another one for a better picture. I have posted one to my Photobucket though. Here are a few, comments welcome about the different wings.

Gadwall feather FW-G

Pintail feather FW-P

Below is my favorite...the Kelly's Cajun FW-LWD (lemon wood duck) I have three different views here for this one.

All of these are my first attempts. The one with Pintail was a good fly, but the glare messed up the photo on the eyes. The Gadwall (FW-G) head was not good, so I didn't post it. The Pintail had a great shape, and it looked really nice in person. The Bronze Mallard wing was pretty, but I like the Lemon Wood Duck better. The barred flank of the Wood Duck was very nice, but if you are using one feather, it is not always uniform from one side of the feather, to the other. Still it is a showy fly, and I am sure it will work well. The first version with the mallard was nice, and most people have access to Mallard, that is why I used it. But the Lemon Wood Duck gets my vote for my favorite wing. I have not tried Teal on it, but I already have that on the Shaman Lance. I am probably going to try this with Teal, just an as alternative. I am also going to use gold and copper on some of these. I found some copper tinsel chenille, and black tinsel chenille. So I will be playing with that too. I ordered some last night.

Photos look great, how bout a pic when it wet..
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

I tied up a couple...and getting the duck feather centered over the back is giving me fits! Makes me appreciate how talented you are!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Blog Entries

Steve, I might wet one down, and take a pic...

FishnDave, it will come to you. Use the eye of the hook, and a straight feather stem. Thanks for the kind words.

A great collection of flat-winged flies. They really look great.
    There is a fly called 'Missionary' dating from the first half of the 20th century, used on still-waters over here. I don't have a picture, but here is the recipe.

Hook: Long-shank 6 - 10
    Thread: Black
    Tail: Dark ginger or scarlet cock hackles.
    Body: White Chenille.
    Rib: Flat silver tinsel.
    Wing: A single grey mallard or teal breast feather tied on flat
    and extending just beyond the bend.
    Throat Hackle: Same as tail.
    There is a variant with orange tail and hackle.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Blog Entries

Thank you Donald. I will have to try one of them pretty soon. Thanks for that recipe.

Kelly, nicely done. Would you mind posting the pattern? Thanks in advance.

Donald, thanks for posting the pattern.

I don't have many flat wing flies tied, but should.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Blog Entries

Recipe for Kelly's Cajun FW-M
    Daiichi 2340 size 6 hook (optional size 2-14)
    Tail-Red Schlappen
    Butt- Silver Solid Tinsel Chenille
    Body-silver tinsel (flat or embossed)
    one white saddle hackle-tied in flat
    PolarFlash-Pearl color (a heavy pinch of it)
    Fluorofibre-Mackerel Blue (several strands)
    Throat-Red Schlappen
    Wing- Mallard

Gandolf, all of the Kelly's Cajun flies have the exact same body as the Shaman Lance. Except the Cajun one has the tinsel chenille added to it. I am going to also be trying these in copper, and gold. So if you want a Kelly's Cajun with Pintail, it is Kelly's Cajun FW-P. Each one of these goes by the name of the wing right after FW in the name. I have another thread showing various wings. I tied one with Gadwall, but the head was not good. So I didn't post a photo of it. So far I have tried Mallard, Bronze Mallard, Pintail, Gadwall, Wood Duck, Lemon Wood Duck for this pattern. My favorite two of these so far is the Lemon Wood Duck, and the Pintail. But any duck feather will work. I will also be experimenting with different wing toppings besides ducks in the near future. The body pattern is the same, and it is easier to remember. The eyes are what take so long. The pattern is not hard to tie. You can add stick on eyes, leave the head black, or paint on eyes. The choice is up to you.

Very nice. I quite like the Bronze Mallard, but I'm partial to that. All of them look very good and are well tied. Nicely done.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Blog Entries

Thanks Jeff for your opinion. The cool thing about this pattern is, it is so versatile. You can liteally add any duck feather you want, and it still looks good. You don't have to order a certain duck feather for it. Just put on what you have, and it works out fine. Every duck feather I have tried so far looks good on this fly.

+ Reply to Thread