+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advise on Redding CA area for mid Dec fishing

Default Need advise on Redding CA area for mid Dec fishing

Hi,

I'll have the opportunity to fish the Redding CA area for 3-4 days in mid Dec (15-18 Dec) and would appreciate some information. I'm predominantly a tropical saltwater fly fisherman based in the far east and had never been to Northern California. My priorities are to get myself into waters that hold Steelhead, King Salmon and Rainbows, in that order. I had never fished for Steelheads and my experience with Salmon and Rainbows are basically those I had gathered though my limited trips to the Kenai River in Alaska.

For Steelhead, I'm planning on hiring a guide to drift the Trinity for 2 days. Is this the best option for Steelhead? Any other river system within a 2 hour drive of Redding that will beat the Trinity?

For King Salmon, which location will you recommend? From web articles, it seems like Lower Sac do hold a good population of Chinook that time of the year, will I need a guide with a drift boat to get to them?

Finally for Rainbow, I'm planning on a day of walk and wade at either the Lower Sac or the Upper Sac. Are there any hazards I should be watching out for? What are the main hatches that time of the year?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

That time of year in Redding, you will probably have choices for Steelhead and Rainbow. I would start by booking a guide through The Fly Shop. Check out their web site. I would specifically ask for a guide named Matt Dover. I have fished with him personally and have gotten to know him. He works through the fly shop. All the guides will have drift boats for the Trinity and Sacramento and Klamath. I have not fished the Kenai but for sure, this ain't Alaska so don't have expectations that it will be. The upper Sacramento may still be fishable at that time but could be influenced by winter storms if raining and not snowing. That high up, could very well be into snow or at least slick icy conditions. You might call and talk to the folks at the Ted Fay Fly shop in Dunsmir California to get a general ideal of conditions during that time of year.

The lower Sac does have Salmon but at that time of year probably not many and not your best choice and probably a waste of time - and even if you do catch a salmon, it will be in pretty poor shape -- by the time it gets that far up the Sacramento, it is on its last legs -- all scaby and nasty. The trout fishing can be good but winter time there might be a little slow. There are some huge rainbows in the river. You will not be able to walk/wade very much of the Lower Sacramento unless they really drop the flows. It is pretty much a drift boat type of deal.

The Trinity will probably be your best bet for Steelhead and Matt is well versed on the Trinity and how to fish it. His gear is good and he will work his butt off for you. There isn't much quit in this guide and he likes to fish hard which is why I like to fish with him.

There are lots of guides through The Fly Shop but Matt is one of the top 4 or 5 there with a pretty long history with them.

That time of year weather can be pretty cold on the trinity when the sun drops behind the mountains so be prepared for just about anything. Rain is typical, could get some snow, Matt has a heater in the Drift boat.

I am excited for you. My advice is to call now -- if this years salmon fishing was any indication (going on right now), the steelhead should also be good this year and that means the good guides will be busy and dates booked up. I am looking forward to it. Last year, I had shoulder surgery in early December and couldn't go fishing until April.

Let me know if you any other questions and I will try to answer them for you.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 09-01-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Agree with what Orthoman outlines. Trinity is indeed the best shot and the Klamath is worth trying if you have the time and the weather cooperates. Both rivers clear quickly if there's rain, but it will be cold. The Fly Shop in Redding can provide guides who know both rivers well. The King Salmon are not worth targetting in my opinion, so I'd spend another day(s) steelheading if I were you. For trout, Upper Sacramento is your best bet (most other streams are closed for the season) if you want to wade. If it is a dry December, the fishing can be quite good. Not sure how productive the Lower Sacramento is that time of year, but the top also clears relatively quickly so it might be a good fallback if the weather is bad. Dress warm!

Another suggestion for a guide on the Trinity is Mike Hibbard. He also does the lower Sac and i guarantee you will not be dissapointed with him. I have used him both locations and have friends who have also. If you'd like his phone #, send me a PM.

Rich
    "Growin up leads to growin old and then to dyin. Dyin to me don't sound like all that much fun." J Mellencamp

contact Herb at: http://trinityflyshop.com/index.html

he lives on the river...
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

+ Reply to Thread