+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Steelheaders?

Hi everybody!
    I live about 40-45 min. from the Salmon River, I fish it all the time: Except when the water hits 70 dgrs. I fish the 1st gush or two of Cohoes. When the Chinooks come in with the crowds I'm pretty much outa there. I don't do the winter thing, in the mild weather I chase Skamania and Atlantics and the Big Browns that follow them sometimes. As long as there isn't a major heat wave (this summer) It's a nice place to fish.

flickfly, i'm just outside of Buffalo and I totally agree on the king/coho runs. I'll usually fish it mid September and then wait until the freak show leaves. lol. The steelie fishing in November can be excellent!

Hello pspaint,
    I've been tossing my streamers & stoneflies there since my mid teens. Back then we could get away with camping in the woods next to the Pineville pool,the woods there weren't that thick back then. We tied flies and at nite we strung out along the pool & fished for big Brown Trout.
    I still fish streamers there but now I use large ( size 6 to 10) wet flies more often. Went to the upper fly zone yesterday late afternoon just to be on the water. Lots of small stocked Brown Trout. The water temps were too high to fish this summer. Somebody,A shop? kept posting incomeing Salmon reports. Which would not help the survival rates on any fish that might be there. Fortunately the water temps have been going back down with the cooler nites. I look forward to the fall Steelhead fishing especially when the Browns follow them in.

Some idiot on SalmonCrazy posted up a photo of two fish from the Trestle area a week back. Here comes the turd parade!

I'd love to be up there covering all the water from the dam down on through Pineville for Atlantics, but alas we're too busy having earthquakes down here. Eye roll.

Some idiot on SalmonCrazy posted up a photo of two fish from the Trestle area a week back.
    Marty, they do that every year, to get people up there. We went up early, last year (because it was allegedly loaded with kings) and surprise! The usual, few kings milling around. lol. How was that earthquake? I must have slept through it. lol.

Flickfly, that would have been a blast, camping out and chasing the big brownies! If they allowed it now, it would look like tent city. lol. Me and a few buddies hit the DSR, last November and did excellent with the steelies and browns. She was flowing around 2,300 at the DSR, which I thought was an excellent flow, down there. It really spread the people and the fish out. We took a drive up to Altmar (where most of the kings were) and it was the typical zoo. I hope to hit the DSR again, like we did last year. I hear ya on the water temps! Last time I checked, it was still in the mid 70's. Let me know when you plan on hitting it and maybe we can hook up.

I already have a half week and another weekend booked to stay up there in November. Its my favorite time of the year. I need to start tying some flies...

I already have a half week and another weekend booked to stay up there in November.
    That's an excellent time to be up there! The steelies/browns are usually coming in good. Most of the freak show is way up river, chasing the rotting salmon. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pspaint View Post
    That's an excellent time to be up there! The steelies/browns are usually coming in good. Most of the freak show is way up river, chasing the rotting salmon. lol.
    Ghost salmon as I call them, half dead and white. By mid Nov. they are usually all gone though. I hate when im steelie fishing in late Oct. any those ghost salmon take your flies.... nasty.

We always called 'em skunks! lol. I still can't believe the number of people I see, catching them in that condition, and keeping them. I guess they figure they're already tenderized! lol.

Blog Entries

I must have slept through it. lol.

Phil.........it was at 2 o'clock in the PM!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread