+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: daylight savings time

I love daylight savings. I get to think I stay out later. And if its at saturday midnight, then it wont affect the time i get to sleep

If we are going to change the time, why not leave it at Daylightsavings, all year long?

My kids are grown now but they even complained about having to change when they were in school.

I work Seven to Seven, leave the house at 5:30 am or pm, get home at 8:00 am or pm.
    If I am going fishing, I TRY to get up at dawn and usually get home at dark, the time is really not important to me.

I think some of it may be an attitude that developed when my father-in-law used to say "The cows get up with the sun and go to bed with it. Why should we be different?"

Ofcourse I wrench the works with niteshift, but I have never been accused of being normal!

------------------
    Wyo-blizzard aka Bloody Tom Bonney

[This message has been edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff (edited 01 April 2006).]
    Wyo-Blizzard

Excellent idea, Byron. It really doesn't matter WHAT the hour is as long as it STAYS. Businesses, services, and other "timely" items can look at the average sunrise and sunset and see what works best. (Our schools stagger starting times, which is very odd. I've never seen it done this way anywhere else.)

Ranchers and farmers do not look at a clock. My brother, on ranches, worked when work needed to be done: it didn't matter if it was light or dark, 8am or 7am. Cows tended to wait until bad weather to calf anyway, so he blamed the storms, not some archaic practice.

Diane, I think you might have missed my joke about the kids and the hatch time.

Actually though, there are sound reasons for daylight savings time. There is a very measurable drop in energy consumption on both ends. Consumption drops when it begins since people don't need to have the lights on anymore while they cook dinner, etc. in their first couple of hours home from work. When we roll the clocks back consumption drops again since people no longer need their lights on to get ready for work in the mornings. There are sound reasons for leaving it alone. Now, making the period of time that it's in effect longer, that's another matter.

Jeremy

PS I had no idea that there were actually people out there that hated DST. There's always Indiana and Arizona, neither of which participate.

Living here on the 'left' coast, I have enough problems just trying to keep track of 'business hours' across the country when I need to call someone.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

This weekend is as exciting for me as Christmas! I will now be able to get some fishing in after work!

I have to tell you all this true story on the time change: Several years ago, while visiting relatives in Mississippi, I over heard a group of women talking about the time change and most were ok with it except for one women who stated, " I don't mind the time change, but, this extra hour of sunshine shore burns up my garden!" She was serious and no one said anything more.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

hahah thats hilarious!

My dad seems to be convinced that we are losing an hour of sleep, although we arent even waking up at any particualr time. My body doesnt know what time it is! If i sleep 8 hours, than I sleep 8 hours, it doesnt matter what the clock says

Jim Hatch...I don't have numbers on my watch...it just say's "Happy Hour"

"It still does not change the fact that the idea behind "daylight savings" is nearly 100 years old. We're dealing with a century worth of growth, progress, and change."

Actually, Benjamin Franklin originated the idea in 1784, however it was never put into practice until World War I.

You don't like time changes? Move to my state.....Arizona does NOT change it's time!
    Your watch will be accurate AZ time all year long.

GM

+ Reply to Thread