+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Float tube purchase guidance please

Was I ever surprised to see a thread I started 'way back when' up on the BB again! Since then I have purchased 3 inflatables, and have had several guests with inflatables at my cottage, so will tell you what I know.
    The owners of the Fishcats and Fatcats are very happy and comfortable. They seem to be strong and comfortable products. They also dry quickly because of the vinyl coating. I use a U shaped tube by Creek Co. The only issue with these (for me) is that your bum is in the water and you need waders if the water is cool, or if you are going to be in it for more than an hour. I am going to sell mine.

Please look at the Water Skeeter website for reference to my next comments. I also have a pontoon boat similar to the Vision, and the Daytripper II float tube. The pontoon boat is great for slow rivers (think mini-driftboat), or getting across a bay or pond to fish because of the oars. You can manouver it with fins (good), or keep your feet out and use the oars (good for the feet - awkward for positioning AND fishing). One advantage is your bum is out of the water, plus there is a little shelf behind the seat for a small cooler, so you can go out for a day trip. However the system ways about 50# and takes about 1/2 to set up, so it IS better on a day trip. A friend and I each have one.
    I also have the Daytripper, as does another friend, and for a float tube I would recommend it. It is the inflatable I use most. Essentially it is the same as the Fish/Fatcat, but your bum is out of the water! With only your ankles getting wet you can stay without waders for longer if (warm water) bass fishing. Plus you are that little bit higher for casting. And, because of the pontoon design, they are a little faster in the water when changing location. I find it no harder to inflate than the float tube. One suggestion is; once you have it assembled and balanced to your satisfaction - don't dissassemble, just deflate and fold it up.
    Good luck, Greg
    Last edited by Greg H; 07-26-2011 at 05:02 AM.

I have had my Fish Cat 4 deluxe for almost ten years now. It's the best fly fishing gear investment I've ever made. I put in between 30-50 days on the thing each year. It's still going strong. I LOVE IT! It's built to last. The bladders are bomb proof. The valves are Boston valves...the easiest to inflate and deflate. I have not had a lick of trouble with it...except that I will need to replace one of the Boston valves soon. (a gasket is wearing). That's going to cost a whopping $3 whole dollars.
    If this thing ever wears out, I'm definitely going to replace it with another Fish Cat 4 Deluxe. (the deluxe has an inflatable seat. It's worth it)

It moves easily in the water. I had it proved to me that the V shape works better than the U shape when I was on Lake St. Clair a couple of weeks ago with Alan Cayn. His was the U...and I could move circles around him without trying.

It's so easy to transport. I fill it up at the car. It has 4 D rings on the bottom where I fashion two straps and just throw it on my back for the walk in. Lunch in one pocket (if I'm not in bear country) with my camera and sunscreen. Fly boxes, lines, rain jacket, gear in the other pocket. The flippers slip in under the seat (clip to the boat)

One word about the WW Gibbs tube...I have has some experience there. The bladders are poorly constructed compared to the Outcast Fish Cat 4. They don't hold up, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

Fins... Sorry I don't really agree with spending enough to buy a fly rod on fins. I have used these fins for the entire duration ...and they work just fine. You do want to make sure you get flipper that will fit over you wading boots. Many do not. Be sure to read the reviews.

With regards to the the pros and cons of going with a float tube vs Pontoon boat. That's apples and oranges. It all depends on what you want it for. Pontoons have their place but ease of transport certainly isn't one of them. They also get bucked around in the wind and you won't be able to control it with flippers. A canoe is easier and if I was on a 30 ache lake where I want fish the far side...I'd bring the canoe. I can fish on an inland lake in a near gale in my float tube. My flippers keep me where I want to be. Not so with the pontoon. The right pontoon wins hands down on a river for floating / drifting especially if there is swift current.

If you want the best of both worlds...go whole hog and get a Water Strider Kick boat. I'd love one of those puppies, but I'd have to win a lottery first. (but you'll still get a wet butt)

One more thing. I was on an outing recently where someone brought a Kennebec Float Tube. It really looks impressive but after observing this individual with it, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. It's designed for big people...and only big people. The person was slight build. It's huge, a brute to carry and too big for smaller folks handle or to fish comfortably from.

....and had I read the last entry (Gregs) I wouldn't have bothered to give such a lengthy reply , because I didn't check the original posting date. DUH! Oh Well...Melk has my two cents now. lol
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 07-26-2011 at 05:45 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I had the Outcast Fishcat 4 for about 3 years and enjoyed using it. I recently upgraded to a North Fork Outdoors Escape. For me it has many advantages. It includes oars with locking oarlocks and more storage in two large bags. I have easily mounted an anchor on the bow of the boat. In the future I may add a motor mount to use an electric Minn Kota type motor. The boat is definitely faster to move with just fins than my Outcast. Finally, it is rated for class 3 rivers. It is designed and built by Dave Scadden, www.northforkoutdoors.com

Outcast for me

I second the NFO Escape. It's bladderless, welded seams, inflatable seat area that uses a stadium style seat to sit on, keeps you out of the water enough that you can wear hip waders, and the above mentioned points by cmcculloch. And don't go by NFO's price list.

OutCast Fishcat Deluxe. The inflatable seat will make a smaller bundle tp transport. Well made and float great.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegill View Post
    OutCast Fishcat Deluxe. The inflatable seat will make a smaller bundle tp transport. Well made and float great.
    Ditto..............
    Fits in a hockey bag with DC Pump, fins, rod tubes and Fishin Buddy Fishfinder.

+ Reply to Thread