+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook & Hackle

Default Hook & Hackle

I am Ron with the Hook & Hackle Co. First, I wish to thank all the good folks who have been patient and understanding during our move to a new warehouse. Honestly, we hit some bumps that we didn't quite expect as we move 500,000 items including fly tying supplies, rod building supplies and fly fishing tackle over 600 miles.

We did everything we could and I still have a crew working 75-80 hours a week EACH and I am putting in over 100 hours each week to deliver the goods you order. We are sending hundreds of packages out each week and getting back to the normal turnaround time of just a few days.

Problems? Of course. And there are a few things you should know. We do not send out rod building orders until the blank is in stock. This is important as we ALWAYS check the tip top to make certain it fits. Please know that we, too, are at the mercy of our suppliers on these products. For fly tying, we send out all we can and ship the backorders as they arrive in our warehouse.

For those who say they haven't been able to get in touch with me, I do admit that it had been difficult before the last two weeks. I have personally called everyone that left a message this week and have been answering the phones each day if I am free when it rings. I have been helping folks order rod parts, tying supplies and tackle.

There are some folks that email without giving me enough information to look up their order or address their problem. And there are some folks who call and don't leave a return phone number. I've taken some abuse without the ability to correct the situation.

BUT, I can honestly say that 99% of the folks I've been dealing with have been just terrific. Almost everyone I speak with has been supportive, patient and understanding. I do know that everyone wants their stuff and that is why our focus has been to ship!!

Please call us! If I'm on the other line, a message will be taken and I'll call back. (The Post Office picks up at 2:30pm and UPS pick up around 4pm, so sometimes we don't pick up the phone right before they arrive.)

To all, I appreciate your patience, support and business and we have completed the most difficult part of this once in a life time event for us!

Thanks so much.

Ron

Ron,
    Thank you for posting.
    Even after a rough start, I will still be ordering from H&H. But I will wait till things settle in a bit!
    Betty

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

We all talk about supporting out local fly shops. I know from past experience reliable, reasonable on-line/catalog sources like H&H are some folks' only option. Try to find a fly shop convenient to Ft Stockton, Texas for example.

Personally, I don't need a thing right now. But before the weekend is over I'm going to order a couple lines, and maybe other stuff too. I'd hate to see a great source like H&H have problems because so many are adopting a "wait it out" attitude.

Jim

I just bought some rod building suppplies elsewhere as I could not get in touch with you to ask some relevant questions.

That being said, I can appreciate your situation and the forthwright nature of your posts. I'll be back, once you've settled in. Good luck and talk with you then.

jed

Ron,

I am one of your previous customers and I can assure you that I will be your future customer. I have been waiting and will continue to wait before sending an order so that you have enough time to get your shop in order. I understand what you have been going through and from my past orders and your quality and service, it is worth the wait. As soon as you get things organized and running smoothly, go fishing because you deserve it.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Indeed, thanks for doing so, Ron. Communication is so important. JGW

Ron, I wish you nothing but the best. Sounds like you are in the process of taking a drink out of a fire hose.

I'm a consultant and here's some free advice.

Don't do anything to generate new business until you have caught up on the orders you already have.

Hire whatever temporary help you can to get you through the crunch. Any nearby colleges with hungry students? Even high schoolers can help a lot. YOu can get students at wages that are very friendly. They're not expecting a long term job or benefits. They are just looking for current income and a boss who treats them fairly.

Figure out where you personally can add the greatest value during this period. Should you be overseeing things in general or focused on one or a few parts of it during this crisis? For example, who should be answering phone calls and responding to e-mails now?

It is a crisis. Not just the sheer crush of the workload during the transition. More importantly, the company's reputation and customer relationships are on the line here. It is far more difficult to re-establish those than it is to retain them.

Most folks will cut you some slack if they feel you are doing the best you can under difficult circumstances. Make sure they know your circumstances using every communication channel you can. (Your post here was seen by tons of current and potential customers. Are there other sites where you can deliver the same message without violating their posting policies?)

Don't make promises you can't keep and keep every promise you make.

Can your suppliers help you? For example, would some make direct shipments for you during this transition in the interest of keeping your business when you are back to being ready to fulfill your own orders?

Think! Take anywhere from 2 hours to a day sitting in a room all by yourself with no ringing phones or other distractions. List all the problems you are having. Rank them in terms of their importance to your future biz success. Write down what you think is the best way to solve each, rank those, and then execute the He!! out of them.

Figure out what you will do to build this business after the crisis is over. One person's point of view: giving me a discount to offset my displeasure with a delayed shipment will have a far less long lasting effect on me than would building some kind of personal bond with your communications to me while I await the delivery.

Hey, free advice is often worth what it costs --often far less. But I hope this helps.

Ron;
    I never stoped ordering from H&H and have seen my orders return to a normal delivery time frame.
    old frat had some very good advice. It may also be a help to sit down with your employee's and have a "How can we improve it" session. Sort of a "De-breifing after the battle.
    I think you have a lot of friend's here, please come back and visit more often!

Ron,

Thanks for posting. I have seen a lot of concern about Hook & Hackle on this board and others. Your company is a great asset to the Fly Fishing community.

It's sounds like you have your hands full, personally when I heard what you were doing I figured six months to a year to be back to normal.

From what I've read your still lagging behind what I would consider normal but ahead of what I figured would be the real schedule.

Don't get discouraged we are all behind you. I will be putting an order in soon. That 8' 4wt kit is looking more tempting all the time.

------------------
    --------
    Let No One Walk Alone
    ><))))'>------<'((((><
    Bill
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Ron,
    I havn't needed anything as yet, Or I'd have ordered....But You deffinitely will be seeing my Biz as always.

Am glad to hear things are coming together for you and the H&H fam....

Thanks for taking the time to talk with us...the customer's....It's very much appreciated!!!

In the past 2 years I've had the experience of moving all my equip. from PA to Upstate NY and back again...Not nearly what you've had to take on...but it sure seemed like it!!!

Keep up the great service!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread